• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1881 gold coin 5$ real or fake ?

10 posts in this topic

The two pictures look very different and neither one provides a particularly good look at the coin. The obverse picture had me thinking that the coin was probably genuine. but the reverse picture gave me pause.

Authenticity decisions based on a few fuzzy photos are not reliable. In-hand, examine the reeding for inconsistencies, and on the faces search on-line for known counterfeits. The condition is EF.

On 3/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, RWB said:

Authenticity decisions based on a few fuzzy photos are not reliable. In-hand, examine the reeding for inconsistencies, and on the faces search on-line for known counterfeits. The condition is EF.

Thankyou sir 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, Millzy89 said:

Ok here are few more pics .thanku for the help all ! :)

Screenshot_20220311-110344_Gallery.jpg

received_3884895765068772.jpeg

Screenshot_20220311-090610_Messenger.jpg

I’m not convinced that the coin’s genuine and unless you can be certain that it is, it would be unwise to buy it. There are professionally graded examples of various grades, which are widely available at reasonable prices. So there’s no need to take an unnecessary risk. But if you want to buy an ungraded one, make sure it’s from a well established seller with an excellent reputation.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:27 PM, MarkFeld said:

I’m not convinced that the coin’s genuine and unless you can be certain that it is, it would be unwise to buy it. There are professionally graded examples of various grades, which are widely available at reasonable prices. So there’s no need to take an unnecessary risk. But if you want to buy an ungraded one, make sure it’s from a well established seller with an excellent reputation.

Not from an established seller . It's 100 bucks . If it tests gold ill buy it  I think . Thanks 

On 3/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, MarkFeld said:

If it’s gold, not stolen, not lost and not in the hands of a clueless seller, sure. But ask yourself why it’s only $100. Something is obviously very wrong.

I'll keep ya updated and we'll know in a week