• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 SMS Half Dollar Over Polishing Die
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I want to say this looks like a over polishing instead of grease die. If I'm wrong can you let me know so I have this correct. It's the lines behind the eagles neck and shield. The one line doesn't connect to the bottom star. Thanks for any advice. 

20220306_205642.jpg

20220306_210328.jpg

20220306_210447.jpg

The SMS coins are not proofs just nice BS coins and they all have some marks. It is to fuzzy a shot to give you a good answer I would say you got a little of both a greasy worn die . LoL

The SMS dies were consistently over polished, removing detail and that is why there are large premiums for DCAM coins where they haven’t been over polished and the coins have full details and frosted devices and black mirrors. Coins struck by slightly over polished die pairs are common. Some die pairs had the FG designer’s initials removed and they also have large premiums, but your coin is not anywhere near that and still clearly has the FG.