• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Stars
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I see that NGC offers a gold or silver star to the exceptionally subjective eye-appealing coins.  I must have missed something in their description.  What is the difference between the Gold and Silver Stars?  Are there other stars?

Thanks,

Chris

On 3/2/2022 at 1:52 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

Hi all,

I see that NGC offers a gold or silver star to the exceptionally subjective eye-appealing coins.  I must have missed something in their description.  What is the difference between the Gold and Silver Stars?  Are there other stars?

Thanks,

Chris

Perhaps you can show us examples of these silver and gold stars; I can find no reference to any such animals on the NGC website.

From the NGC website.

Untitledk.thumb.png.aa7dc2d49c713a201bc4bce166fbbaff.png

NGC does not assign gold and silver stars. None that I've ever seen at any rate, and I've been around the block. :insane: Do you have an example of the gold and silver stars? 

On 3/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

From the NGC website.

Untitledk.thumb.png.aa7dc2d49c713a201bc4bce166fbbaff.png

NGC does not assign gold and silver stars. None that I've ever seen at any rate, and I've been around the block. :insane: Do you have an example of the gold and silver stars? 

Hi Mike,

I did dig into that part of the site, and it did not distinguish Gold Vs. Silver.  I've already got a MS-70 2021 and an MS-70 2019(silver star) (both NGC).  I don't see any difference. (Maybe I was using my bad eye!)

The gold and silver stars on those labels are a marketing gimmick. They have nothing to do with eye appeal, condition, or actual value of the coins.

These are also available at some office supply stores and educational materials stores. Does CAC use silver smiley faces?

On 3/2/2022 at 5:46 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Sorry these Stars are just labels, no different than flag labels.

what FenntuckyMike was referring to is the star or symbol behind the grade.

01850E13-198D-456C-A9E7-46F04C472F06.jpeg

I should add that, unfortunately this coin is not mine! It is for sale on EBay for $249 I think.

I once got a gold star in first grade..  it was the last time ever :(  ...If i was in New York i could say "I know this guy" " he can get you a good deal"....however thiese are just Mike the hucksters gimmicks...  Gessh these Freak'n labels kill me...I think i should start my own grading company JT's Bargin Basment.  we offer JT stickers for geesh this is a coin. and then the super JT sticker for humm i havent seen this one before...then i am going to make ever distiguisable mrk for a coin sticker FS FT and how about Full Moon for IKEs??/  it will have a round sticker with a line down the middle.......  geesh can we go back to collecting coins?