• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American Innovation Dollars (Please no BOO's)
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I bought these individually P,D Brilliant uncirculated, and created an album. All in, including the album, I've spent $73.29

According to Both PCGS and NGC an MS65-66 is worth about $10 each. I now have 28, So seems like I should keep up with them. Anybody else see value here in the future. Not like the Presidential dollars which I only have a couple of I think these would be less popular and stand to increase value over time. Whatya Think?

IMG-4141.jpg

IMG-4140.jpg

IMG-4142B.jpg

Edited by Mr.Bill347

You can buy slabbed examples in MS66 for under $10 on eBay

Your coins raw are worth $1. Want to get $10 for them, spend $15 on having them graded. 

Other than extremely high grade examples, this series will never have any value. 

I do not think you can turn your coins today for a profit.  However, with business strike mintages under 1M/year (and often under half that), this is a budget-friendly speculative series.  The reverse proofs are particularly low mintage; less than proofs of 1950s.  Again, a very speculative buy considering all of the "artificially low mintage" things that the Mint has done in recent history.  Some moderns take off (i.e. Jackie Robinson commemoratives), but most do not.  It really is a shot in the dark...  I wish you luck.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

The problem I see with your math is your using the NGC and PCGS quides which are for certified coins and applying that to your raw coins, that is an apples to oranges comparison.   As already said your raw coins are worth $1 or $3 for the right buyer, not $10; however, having said that it's not all that impossible that you could find a buyer who would be willing to pay $10 a coin in this world.

As to future value, well my crystal ball is permanently broken so I'll just say that I think it's a long shot gamble, but an inexpensive one.

I agree Coinbuf, just another book on the shelf but I like them as they are unique, fairly low mintage and eye appealing worthless pieces of metal. Lol

I would like them if the designs were "innovative" and not the usual rubbish.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:06 PM, RWB said:

I would like them if the designs were "innovative" and not the usual rubbish.

Roger, I think they are innovative as the designs just aren’t heads on a plate but a tribute to each states contribution to innovative aspects. I realize it just bubble gum machine stuff and not worth much but at 2-3 bucks for a P,D set, it’s not that bad to spend money on. Btw. Just got the book today, I’ll start tonight.

I'm merely speaking of the lost opportunity to be creative. The Mint's "innovation coin" designs might be different, but they make no use of the medium that is, of itself, innovative. Whatever their monetary value is a separate matter, and you have a nice looking presentation.

Edited by RWB

On 3/2/2022 at 2:40 PM, gmarguli said:

You can buy slabbed examples in MS66 for under $10 on eBay

Your coins raw are worth $1. Want to get $10 for them, spend $15 on having them graded. 

Other than extremely high grade examples, this series will never have any value. 

I think your a little off on that comment. I see only one less than 10.00 and it is an open bid. I looked at sold ones graded and they are quite a bit more. I realize they aren’t worth much as I would not get them graded but I still think they are unique and I like them.

0ADE5292-97F6-458C-B581-3E5AA51395E1.jpeg

AD9A8FF2-B09B-4EE3-A4CC-6ECC6A716F23.jpeg

I for one like the American Innovation coins. They may never be worth the cost ($34.50 for a roll of 25 from the mint).  They are a better design that the president dollars. It may be a little bit of hopeful thinking that made me start getting them, but I do like the way they look. I have the Proofs and reverse proofs to go with the rolls. one day some family member will look and be on here asking if they are fake because they never saw one in circulation. @Mr.Bill347, I really like the Folder, but I don't think I want to open the mint rolls and take one coin out of each.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:57 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

According to Both PCGS and NGC an MS65-66 is worth about $10 each.

Yep, spend $30 apiece (grading fees, invoice fees and shipping both ways) to get them graded MS65-66 and they will be worth $10 each.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:26 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I looked at sold ones graded and they are quite a bit more.

The examples you posted are proofs , not MS coins.

On 3/2/2022 at 3:26 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I think your a little off on that comment. I see only one less than 10.00 and it is an open bid. I looked at sold ones graded and they are quite a bit more. I realize they aren’t worth much as I would not get them graded but I still think they are unique and I like them.

I just checked. There have been 25 eBay sales for PCGS/NGC MS65/MS66 examples that have sold for less than $10. The lowest price was $1.50.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:39 PM, gmarguli said:

I just checked. There have been 25 eBay sales for PCGS/NGC MS65/MS66 examples that have sold for less than $10. The lowest price was $1.50.

Oh well.. I still like them and will keep them on the shelf. I will never spend money to grade these things. I learned that lessons with the First issue of Sacgawea.

Thank You though