1929 Overstruck with 6
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 12:12 PM, RWB said:

Your photo is not visible.

Agreed. It doesn’t show for me either. 

There is no such thing as a 1929 struck over 1926 Lincoln cent which explains why you cannot find any information on it.   Your friend has a coin that was damaged, it received a hit in the area of the numeral 6 and some metal was displaced which coincidentally looks slightly similar to a tail of a 9.   Just simple PMD, there are no documented different date overstrikes for the Lincoln series.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

There is no such thing as a 1929 struck over 1926 Lincoln cent which explains why you cannot find any information on it.   Your friend has a coin that was damaged, it received a hit in the area of the numeral 6 and some metal was displaced which coincidentally looks slightly similar to a tail of a 9.   Just simple PMD, there are no documented different date overstrikes for the Lincoln series.

You sure that isn't a "9" that took a hit and looks like a "6"? (:

Based on the larger images on my PC, I suspect a damaged 1926. The tail of the 2nd "9" is not at the correct angle.

Mechanically, the only way an overdate could occur in the 1920 was by a working die being impressed with hubs from two different years. This happened in 1909/8 DE, 1918/7 nickels and quarters, 1942/1 dimes (P and D mints).

On 3/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

Your friend has a coin that was damaged, it received a hit in the area of the numeral 6 and some metal was displaced which coincidentally looks slightly similar to a tail of a 9. 

Correct but to me it looks like a 9 that has suffered a hit pushing metal to make it look like the tail of a 6.