• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1929 Overstruck with 6

12 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2022 at 12:12 PM, RWB said:

Your photo is not visible.

Agreed. It doesn’t show for me either. 

Here are 1926 and 1929 cents for comparison to yours. What do you think about "6 over 9?"

comp.thumb.jpg.2b102b8301d84110d5420defaddd6973.jpg

There is no such thing as a 1929 struck over 1926 Lincoln cent which explains why you cannot find any information on it.   Your friend has a coin that was damaged, it received a hit in the area of the numeral 6 and some metal was displaced which coincidentally looks slightly similar to a tail of a 9.   Just simple PMD, there are no documented different date overstrikes for the Lincoln series.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 3/1/2022 at 9:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

There is no such thing as a 1929 struck over 1926 Lincoln cent which explains why you cannot find any information on it.   Your friend has a coin that was damaged, it received a hit in the area of the numeral 6 and some metal was displaced which coincidentally looks slightly similar to a tail of a 9.   Just simple PMD, there are no documented different date overstrikes for the Lincoln series.

You sure that isn't a "9" that took a hit and looks like a "6"? (:

Based on the larger images on my PC, I suspect a damaged 1926. The tail of the 2nd "9" is not at the correct angle.

Mechanically, the only way an overdate could occur in the 1920 was by a working die being impressed with hubs from two different years. This happened in 1909/8 DE, 1918/7 nickels and quarters, 1942/1 dimes (P and D mints).

On 3/1/2022 at 10:27 PM, Coinbuf said:

Your friend has a coin that was damaged, it received a hit in the area of the numeral 6 and some metal was displaced which coincidentally looks slightly similar to a tail of a 9. 

Correct but to me it looks like a 9 that has suffered a hit pushing metal to make it look like the tail of a 6.