• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks strange

9 posts in this topic

Also, I took pics of front and back on phone but every time I try to log in on phone, it logs me out as soon as I get to forum so I can't post them. Microscope doesn't let me zoom out enough to take full coin pic.

Resembles some of the die strengthening I noticed on a lot of 1936-42 proofs. Hardly seems worthwhile to take the time for a 1974-D cent die.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It does seem that the leading edge of Lincoln's coat was touched up on the working die. Such work typically was reserved for proofs, though the 1944-D half dollar with its AW monogram recut is another exception.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:26 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I'm not sure of this offers an explanation, but it's something I found on error-ref. Maybe something to consider

350-02b_strange_doubling_Ireland_5p_obv_close.jpg.7bfced4233de2ec43d99715b2b301c5e.jpg

https://www.error-ref.com/design-berms/

That's the correct explanation and wording for what I was meaning in my elementary explanation. I didn't know it had a name. Good to know.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:43 PM, Woods020 said:

That's the correct explanation and wording for what I was meaning in my elementary explanation. I didn't know it had a name. Good to know.

Scroll through error-ref enough times and you begin to remember a lot of the pics ("you know, I saw something like that before").  However, it did take a little effort to find it again.