• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971s DDO?

11 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2022 at 4:01 PM, kerisinc said:

Grr. Not what I wanted to see but I'm determined. I'll find my first DDO! :nyah:

You wouldn't accept a DDR?

The first thing in searching for these is to know how they happen and what they are called. You are saying "Doubled Die Obverse." That implies that a Doubled Die Reverse would be beneath your notice. I'm not saying this to be a wiseacre, but to help you understand. Doubled dies happen when the die is created from the hub, and all coins stuck by that die will exhibit the characteristics. Mechanical doubling happens at striking, and has very different characteristics. While I'm at it, you should know that people have worked very hard and dug though probably billions of coins, and most extant doubled dies are known. The chances of finding an undiscovered one rank just a little better my chances of giving birth and then becoming Pope.

On 2/11/2022 at 5:28 PM, JKK said:

You wouldn't accept a DDR?

The first thing in searching for these is to know how they happen and what they are called. You are saying "Doubled Die Obverse." That implies that a Doubled Die Reverse would be beneath your notice. I'm not saying this to be a wiseacre, but to help you understand. Doubled dies happen when the die is created from the hub, and all coins stuck by that die will exhibit the characteristics. Mechanical doubling happens at striking, and has very different characteristics. While I'm at it, you should know that people have worked very hard and dug though probably billions of coins, and most extant doubled dies are known. The chances of finding an undiscovered one rank just a little better my chances of giving birth and then becoming Pope.

Will we have to kiss your ring finger then? ;)

On 2/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, Coinbuf said:

Will we have to kiss your ring finger then? ;)

If it happened, you'd do so just so that you could take a finger-smooching selfie. But I'd make it optional.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:01 PM, kerisinc said:

Grr. Not what I wanted to see but I'm determined. I'll find my first DDO! :nyah:

Don’t invest so much emotion into finding DDO’s. They are largely not worth the time or increase in blood pressure. 

Welcome kerisinc ..I have been roll hunting forever and I have found a couple and a lot of other strange items but they were not anything to write home about. Keep hunting it's fun. You will find something it may not be a 55 but ya never know. 

On 2/12/2022 at 6:35 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Welcome kerisinc ..I have been roll hunting forever and I have found a couple and a lot of other strange items but they were not anything to write home about. Keep hunting it's fun. You will find something it may not be a 55 but ya never know. 

Thank you. I started only a week ago and jumped right in. I'm on my second box now. The fun of it is flipping over that coin and not knowing what you will see. I'm enjoying it but it's also very cool to hope I'll find something rare.