• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die Crack?

9 posts in this topic

I was looking over 1881 O Morgan Dollar and saw what looks like a die crack above the O from the inside of the right bow over the O and through the wreath and out the tip of the long leaf. These are the best picture I could get since I had to use a camera though a magnifying glass because the zoom wasn't showing the potential crack. Does it look like a die crack and if so what VAM would it be? Thanks!

Edited by CVille

If you go to VAMWorld and start digging into identifying it you will quickly see why we ask for pics of the full coin front and back. A die crack, or whatever it is in hand, does not a VAM make. 

On 2/6/2022 at 6:23 PM, CVille said:

VAMworld doesn't have a die crack for this particular coin which is why I was asking.

20220206_191716.jpg

20220206_191729.jpg

20220206_191746.jpg

Die cracks may or may not be listed in the description of a VAM. Start by looking at the attribution guide. Does it fit into any of the categories? Then you look at possibilities from there. VAM identification is a process of narrowing down piece by piece until there is a match. 

61F2E26F-A359-428D-B49D-53D19C4C7936.jpeg

Welcome CVille. It can be a fun hunt at VamWorld if you want it to be. It will take a while to get used to how to single out all the variety's of all the samples available. In the end it will be worth the effort if you have the time and patience to put into it.