• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Coin Is Better II (Seated Dollars)

17 posts in this topic

I like #2 although not as original it has much more eye apeal and has pretty nice lister for a LSD. #1 is original however because of that it has dark toning that looks sloppy because of the outlining of the portait/stars. Just MHO

Dude, if "original" is a codeword for "Butt Ugly" than the first one is "original" blush.gif I definitely prefer #2, it doesn't give me a headache and nausia when I look at it (that's a key criteria for coins that make it into my collection). tongue.gif

Perhaps I should add some verbal descriptions, since we all know how deceptive pictures can be when not done by a professional!

The 1849 is toned with a vibrant polychromatic iridescence. Definately original. Think shimmery fields from a starburst.

The 1853 is likely original as well, with a slight hazy gray patina covering typical frosty surfaces. Think lightly trudged snow-covered fields.

EVP

i like the 1849 better

it would be a higher grade if not for the weakly struck reverse

i really like the 1849 overall the look is great!!!! this kind of look is for me really rare in a seated dollar

again just my opinion and i bet the 1849 looks even better in person sight seen

also a sexy date to boot!

sincerely michael

Ok EVP, maybe it's not "original" as defined above in my last post, but I stand by my original opinion, I like the clearer look of the second one better.

also a sexy date to boot!

Michael,

Your knowledge of this stuff is very good. (No condescension intended.) The 1849 is very underrated. It is tougher at this grade level (MS63) than the 1853, yet is priced less. And, I also think this 1849 specimen is very high-end for the grade.

The two coins have a completely different look, and aside from the rev marks on the '53 I'd have a very hard time deciding which coin pleases me more!

Isn't it nice to have this kind of dilemma? laugh.gif

EVP

both are rare coins those seared dollars

also evp i am going to try to scan the trade dollar infor at the university of rochester and send it to you in an e mail

i will ask one of the students over there to help me

sincerely michael

If you look carefully, the '49 has a stronger obv strike and a weaker rev strike than the '53. Both of these specimens have typical strikes for their respective dates. Both also are typical wrt fresh, original luster.

I have seen ZERO '49 specimens over the past few years that I like better than mine. In spite of the chatter on the rev of the '53 specimen, I have seen only ONE specimen that I like better.

Since I am comparing these two coins, I'd have to say that I like the '49 better. It has more pizzazz (luster, flash), better color (you'd have to see it in person to see its polychromatic aspect) and far fewer marks.

The '49 also has much more of an original look to it.

Once again, please note that I have listed luster as the top criterion.

EVP

PS For my next thread, I'll use two AU ED's for comparison.

PPS I hope people find these threads educational. You can learn a great deal about how these coins "should" look...

I like the '53 better. Most if its marks are on the reverse and it has a better strike.

EVP says his photos are not professional (they are very good!!!) but his descriptions are professional:

"vibrant polychromatic iridescence" - Love it!

"lightly trudged snow-covered fields" - What a picture that creates in my mind!