• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2008 P James Monroe dollar coin?? Possible error
1 1

13 posts in this topic

These coins have the edge lettering that can be both ways. This is a result of the minting process. The coins are struck, ejected into a bin, and then they will go through an edge incusing machine that creates the edge lettering. Depending on how the coin enters the edge machine determines the position of the lettering. TPGs will refer to this as position A and B. (I’m not sure which is which.) This is on business strikes. The proofs are done a little differently and should all be the same with the lettering towards the obverse. 

Edited by Lem E
Add

On 1/27/2022 at 9:22 AM, Just Bob said:

Interesting countertop. I would like to watch that being made.

Struck thru debris!!

On 1/27/2022 at 8:42 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Does anyone here collect these new dollar coins ?  I am not a big fan of the Sacagawea or these President coins.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.14.26 AM.png

Does anyone here collect these new dollar coins ?  I am not a big fan of the Sacagawea or these President coins.

I'm with you on those President Dollars, JP.  I don't really like any U.S. coins, but those President Dollars are the worst!! They are SO ugly.  At least the original 2000-2008 Sac Dollars had a pretty nice looking eagle on the reverse.  There is nothing redeeming about the President Dollars......they're just 100% pure hideousness on both sides on all of the different designs.  If I had to pick the worst series the U.S. ever put out, President Dollars would absolutely be what I would choose.......but, I haven't seen one of those new quarters with the dreadful Laura Gardin Fraser obverse in hand yet.  I could change my vote when I do....that obverse is just awful.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/27/2022 at 9:22 AM, Just Bob said:

Interesting countertop. I would like to watch that being made.

It is a nice countertop, isn't it?  I dig it, too.

At one time JP I had the entire set up until about 7 years ago. I did a purge and those proofs went away. Now I have but three. The first Sacajawea and the 2021 military honoree one. Just one Pres coin Jefferson. Those first ones, as you may recall were accused of not having “In God We Trust” on them until people figured out they were edge incused.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

At one time JP I had the entire set up until about 7 years ago. I did a purge and those proofs went away. Now I have but three. The first Sacajawea and the 2021 military honoree one. Just one Pres coin Jefferson. Those first ones, as you may recall were accused of not having “In God We Trust” on them until people figured out they were edge incused.

I had a chance to pick up some sealed tubes of the precedential dollars a while back but I just don't like them they look like brass tokens.   

On 1/28/2022 at 4:55 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I had a chance to pick up some sealed tubes of the precedential dollars a while back but I just don't like them they look like brass tokens.   

That's mean to many brass tokens that look a lot better than those horrible President Dollars.