• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Fix For Scratched Holders/Slabs
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Compound.   With a little elbow grease, I had great results.

Before:

IMG_0342.JPG

S20200106_005.jpg

S20200106_006.jpg

Edited by tj96

I wonder if that would work for proof set cases from different countries.  I love West German proof sets....they have nice coins and very sharp packaging starting in 1974, but that packaging often looks like this:

Bundesrepublik Deutschland Kursmünzensatz 1974 G Proof

Could be worth an experiment.

I had the exact same idea recently. Bought the compound, rubbed a little on, and took my dremel with a polishing wheel to the slab. I don’t suggest doing that. NGC will be re-slabbing that one for me on my dime. That plastic is thinner than it seems. The dremel wore a notches quickly. I tried to smooth it and I was through the slab pretty easily. If you do this do it by hand. 

On a related not don’t let acetone splatter on a slab either. It eats through rather quickly 😂

On 1/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, tj96 said:

They would certainly look much nicer in a scratch free case. 

Definitely.  West German proof coins (and East German ones for that matter of fact) are absolutely gorgeous coins.  But as sleek and amazing as the 1974 and later West German packages are (before 1974, the packaging was basically mylar wrapping. Think 1955-1964 U.S. Proof Sets, but with stiffer plastic), they tend to get scratched up over the years.  The East German proof set packages are hardier, so they tend to hold up better.  

Edited by Mohawk
Wrong "hardy" used. I've been on autopilot.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, tj96 said:

And don't open slabs with this!  :roflmao:

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 6.01.09 PM-ccfopt.jpg

Don't get that near your coins, period!!! Unless.....you want to make yourself an Etsy error.  In that case, that's likely the right tool for the job..........

On 1/22/2022 at 8:54 PM, tj96 said:

Turtle Wax Headlight Lens Compound.   With a little elbow grease, I had great results.

Before:

IMG_0342.JPG

S20200106_005.jpg

S20200106_006.jpg

On 1/22/2022 at 8:54 PM, tj96 said:

After:

S20200106_011.jpg

That's kinda cool. What I find even cooler is that looks like a copper 1943 and no one has said anything about it ? Is it a steel that is just rust looking TJ ?

On 1/24/2022 at 11:48 AM, J P Mashoke said:

That's kinda cool. What I find even cooler is that looks like a copper 1943 and no one has said anything about it ? Is it a steel that is just rust looking TJ ?

I wish it was copper!  Unless ANACS mis-graded/attributed it.  Yes, I think it's just rust.........the story of my life!!  :roflmao: