• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Date over?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I have had this 1958 wheat penny for some time.  I never really took a close look at it thinking there was nothing special about it, which is probably true. A friend saw it earlier this evening and thought it was a 53 instead of a 58. I took a closer look and although I'm sure its a 58, there is something odd about the 8. Could this be some sort of date over? I Thanks.20220115_182731.jpg.0c75d57eef4907ab51134256ebe0c359.jpg20220115_183148.jpg.0ed6b419856d13253a7c3b2d939d56de.jpg20220115_210908.thumb.jpg.78a087bf2a5f8b8ae70f8c67575a542a.jpg

Hi Clay!!

Well, your photos of the obverse are a bit blurry, but I do not see anything that looks unusual to me about your cent.  It looks like a regular 1958 Wheat Cent to me from the photos.  

Over dates stopped in 1909 (? I think) when hand punched dates into working dies stopped. After that the dates were incorporated into the master hub. Any “overdates” after that, such as 1942/41 merc dime are the result of class iii doubled die. 

With that said I can’t see anything in those blurry pics to be of any help. 

Edited by Woods020

The Philadelphia Mint switched to mechanically made reductions using their new Janvier lath in 1907. All overdates since then were made by accidentally using the wrong hub for one blow into a working die - such as 1909/8 double eagles and 1918/17 quarters and nickels, among others. In a few cases, such as 1928 dollars, part of the date or inscription was reinforced in the master die which made a digit more prominent than others.

Your 1958 cent is entirely normal; however, your friend should see an optometrist and be checked for astigmatism.

:)

Edited by RWB

On 1/16/2022 at 9:11 AM, RWB said:

The Philadelphia Mint switched to mechanically made reductions using their new Janvier lath in 1907. All overdates since then were made by accidentally using the wrong hub for one blow into a working die - such as 1909/8 double eagles and 1918/17 quarters and nickels, among others. In a few cases, such as 1928 dollars, part of the date or inscription was reinforced in the master die which made a digit more prominent than others.

Your 1958 cent is entirely normal; however, your friend should see an optometrist and be checked for astigmatism.

:)

I agree and this is what I was attempting to say as well. It is confusing to me though in that the use of the wrong hub into a working die is considered a type iii doubled die. Type iii seems to be a catch all and not necessarily descriptive of what actually happened, but that’s how they are classified. 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:37 AM, RWB said:

Confusion like you mention is common in American numismatics. It originates with people giving names to things they don't completely understand.

AKA Legends that will last a lunchtime.