• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone recall the first use of the term "broken bank?"
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 8:26 PM, RWB said:

Just curious. I have Nov 10, 1825.

Geez. You recall 1825? Are you a vampire? 

In a quick search, which I wouldn’t say are necessarily peer reviewed sources, give two origins of the term. Both to mean different things. 

1. I saw several references to the term being first used in gambling in the 16th century. Breaking the bank meant someone won all or more money than the house (bank) had on hand 

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/break+the+bank

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/break-the-bank

https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/phrases/break-the-bank/

2. The first “bankers” traded currency in open markets. Bank is derived from the Italian banca, which means table. The table was the surface on which they peddled their currency. Breaking the bank signified that the table was broken and disposed of presumably if the banker went out of business. Also the origin of “I’m broke”

https://idiomorigins.org/origin/bankrupt

I found several 18th century British uses consistent with modern numismatic terminology -- that is, a bank that has failed or gone broke, especially one that issued currency or bonds. But 1825 was the earliest USA use I found in a quick search.

On 1/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, RWB said:

I found several 18th century British uses consistent with modern numismatic terminology -- that is, a bank that has failed or gone broke, especially one that issued currency or bonds. But 1825 was the earliest USA use I found in a quick search.

I have performed this action many times in the past year !

Hope the clerks made it out that little cellar window OK.

(Note: The photo is of the "First National Bank" of Ruptured Springs, PA. At one time this was a center of American spring mattress manufacturing. The "First National," as locals called it, was a busy paper-issuing bank by day and mattress testing facility at night. This was run by the Ruptured Springs Fire Brigade Ladies Auxiliary to fund their charitable endeavors. Cash only. No credit cards. Over the span of several years, all the mattress factories were bought by Norfed Taliban and merged into his "Company for the Suppression of Immorality and Vice," which closed the factories on complains that making mattresses was contributing to hanky-panky and other unthinkable moral declines.)

I believe the full name was the "Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice" (CPVPV) -- and I don't believe a word of what you've written!  😉  

On 1/15/2022 at 10:53 AM, RWB said:

1825 Americans were in huge proportion relocated Brits. 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I believe the full name was the "Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice" (CPVPV) -- and I don't believe a word of what you've written!  😉  

All the words are truthful -- just not in the order presented.

Was Anthony Comstock really a ‘broken bank,’ or merely a morally bankrupt pervert? He was “secretary” of the New York Society for the Suppression of Vice (NYSSV) which was dedicated to upholding Christian morality (a very rare thing indeed).

Edited by RWB

@RWB

Right as always.  I was stuck on Afghanistan but the Commission was in Saudi Arabia. No way I'm going to accept Ruptured Springs unless of course I'm forced-fed. 😉