• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1977 Gasparro Dollar Copies - any information on these would be appreciated!
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I picked these up at my local coin club meeting tonight, and I've not seen these copy coins before so I'm asking for any help on them.  I did a google search and there were some struck over SBA dollars back in 2017 for the 40th anniversary of the design, but these seem to be on thicker planchets, and seem to be silver plated (I thought if they were on actual silver there would be some notation of the weight and fineness somewhere on them).  They came in an envelope in flips which were in plastic bags.  Looking forward to any info!

IMG_4130.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

Looks like at least a few places produced these, the Royal Oak Mint overstruck the design onto SBA's and the other I've seen is Ken Potter who produced two silver medals, PF and UNC, which it appears yours are .. Both are supposed to be exact size repro's so..(shrug)

On 1/12/2022 at 6:31 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Looks like at least a few places produced these, the Royal Oak Mint overstruck the design onto SBA's and the other I've seen is Ken Potter who produced two silver medals,

If I remember correctly Royal Oak Mint is Ken Potter.