• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 D Jefferson, RPM or not?

10 posts in this topic

Did a little research on this one and the only one that remotely resembles this is Wexler's WRPM-003. However, the counterclockwise orientation, location and placement does not appear to match up with Wexler's 003.  Fairly minimal flow lines I believe suggest it's not die deterioration doubling. I also don't believe it is MD due to the distinct definition and structure of the MM.  I'm also not seeing any other prominent directional MD in this area of the coin which is a bonus.  Otherwise, if not an RPM, I think it is a very nice coin for its age. This is just one of the many I got from my "haul" at the antique store several weeks ago.  Just curious on your thoughts about this one. Thank you.

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3282.jpg

IMG_3290.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3305.JPG

Edited by GBrad

That is a very nice 64 . I see them every day and most I can tell there a 1964 in the roll before I even look at the date LoL as far as the RPM 003 it looks close to me. It looks like a very early stage almost the beginning.  Not so sure about a triple header my friend, it would be nice though.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:05 AM, J P Mashoke said:

That is a very nice 64 . I see them every day and most I can tell there a 1964 in the roll before I even look at the date LoL as far as the RPM 003 it looks close to me. It looks like a very early stage almost the beginning.  Not so sure about a triple header my friend, it would be nice though.

Thanks J P. Yeah, I’m on the fence about this one but it sure looks promising to me. The TPM did cross my mind with the extra metal at the top but I could never be that lucky.  These Nickel RPM’s kill me trying to figure them out. I have posted several in the past asking about them but it’s always been a deterioration issue. This one, to me, just doesn’t look like like that issue because it is very “clean” in that area.  A Lincoln is much easier for me to see an RPM on than a Nickel for sure. 

On 1/10/2022 at 10:44 AM, DWLange said:

I don't believe that's an RPM. It appears to be strike doubling, aka mechanical or machine doubling.

ARGH...... And the search goes on!  Thank you DWLange.  I appreciate you looking at my coin.  

It fooled me, too, Greg.  I thought it was an RPM as well.  But if Mr. Lange says it's not, I'm certainly inclined to believe him.

It's almost "Full Steps" too -- as in, all the steps are fully filled and perfect for sliding down on a snowy morning.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, RWB said:

It's almost "Full Steps" too

I know, right... it was ever so close! In addition, it really wasn't far from being a SMS.  If only it wasn't for that dang D mint mark........

Edited by GBrad

On 1/10/2022 at 10:18 PM, GBrad said:

I know, right... it was ever so close! In addition, it really wasn't far from being a SMS.  If only it wasn't for that dang D mint mark........

Why should the mintmark stand in the way....after all, all dies have "first stricken" coins.... ;)

On 1/10/2022 at 10:21 PM, RWB said:

Why should the mintmark stand in the way....after all, all dies have "first stricken" coins.... ;)

Very true.  However, be very careful here Roger...... our buddy ol' SlickLoins may be lurking and see this post and start ranting, Ha! Obviously, I was kidding about a 64 SMS (but.. who knows....🤔 hmmmmm....., maybe they do exist but we just don't have scientific 'proof' they do.... hence my Avatar).  After I made my last post/comment above, I thought to myself, "Greg..... what in the -_-_are you thinking mentioning anything about a 1964 SMS....lol?"  I DO NOT want to open up a can of worms here..... :nyah: