• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 5 Most Notorious Mint Robberies
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2022 at 5:11 PM, RWB said:

In 19th century Russia, mint employees - who were required to work nude - stuffed gold into rats, then caught them when they were outside the Moscow Mint. Now, that's eatin' high on the rodent!

I remember hearing that story somewhere years ago.....that was one of the absolute craziest numismatics related stories I've ever heard, if not the absolute craziest.  I may have even heard it from you, first Roger.....I can't remember.  It all runs together after a while!   Do you happen to know what the penalty would have been if these employees were caught?  It being the Russian Empire, I'd imagine it would have been death but I've been wrong before.  Without a doubt, these naked mint workers were taking a huge risk.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, Mohawk said:

I remember hearing that story somewhere years ago.....that was one of the absolute craziest numismatics related stories I've ever heard, if not the absolute craziest.  I may have even heard it from you, first Roger.....I can't remember.  It all runs together after a while!   Do you happen to know what the penalty would have been if these employees were caught?  It being the Russian Empire, I'd imagine it would have been death but I've been wrong before.  Without a doubt, these naked mint workers were taking a huge risk.

I presume the penalty was death, or worse. Mint workers were just as close to being full slaves and the peasants.

On 1/6/2022 at 5:41 PM, RWB said:

I presume the penalty was death, or worse. Mint workers were just as close to being full slaves and the peasants.

That's what I was thinking, Roger.  The Russian Empire was a pretty terrible place to live for most of the people who lived there.  Thanks for the answer :) 

On 1/6/2022 at 5:43 PM, Mohawk said:

That's what I was thinking, Roger.  The Russian Empire was a pretty terrible place to live for most of the people who lived there.  Thanks for the answer :) 

Lenin's and Stalin's Paradise wasn't much better. xD

On 1/6/2022 at 9:01 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Lenin's and Stalin's Paradise wasn't much better. xD

Russia definitely doesn't have a great track record.  But I'd take the Soviets over the Czars any day.  That's just my personal choice, however.  Others may feel differently.

Edited by Mohawk

On 1/6/2022 at 5:11 PM, RWB said:

I recall reading that in 19th century Russia, mint employees - who were required to work nude - stuffed gold into rats, then caught them when they were outside the Moscow Mint. Now, that's eatin' high on the rodent!

[I'll double check this. Don't want to defame the rats.]

I seriously doubt this is possible, but I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  My mouth is larger than a rat's and my stomach is bigger, too. I am going to swallow one of my French 20-franc gold roosters.  If you hear fro me, you're right. If you don't, well, I will hold you blameless. 😉  

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing.

The rats would have the belly cut open, the gold coins placed inside and the the belly sewn back up.  This was done by a thief in the San Francisco Mint as well.  Same process.