• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exactly which Schuler presses are used by U.S. Mints

6 posts in this topic

I was attempting to do some reading on some of the exact components of the new Schuler presses, but there are several variations. I see that the mint uses the Schuler MRH 150 (horizontal) for quarters. I also can find reference various models are used even including one capable of 540 tons of pressure for the 5 ounce ATB coins. So my questions are:

1. Do we know which models are in use?

2. Do we know if different denominations are struck using specific models, or are they mainly all struck using the MRH 150?

@RWB this may be right up your alley. Anything you have read that gives details of the models of presses used?

On 1/5/2022 at 8:48 PM, RWB said:

I have not been tracking the "modern" US Mint very much. Presumably someone has, is, or will.

I was present for striking of the first 5-oz silver pieces. I don't recall the model except that it was a double stroke vertical press with special coin reception to avoid scrapes. The new pieces made good hand warmers right off the press.

The feeding and ejecting components are exactly what I want to study a little more. And as I was reading schematics from Schuler I ran into this issue of differences based on model. Interestingly I can’t find much in a quick search where the mint gives much info other than the manufacturer. 

On 1/5/2022 at 9:48 PM, RWB said:

I was present for striking of the first 5-oz silver pieces. I don't recall the model except that it was a double stroke vertical press with special coin reception to avoid scrapes. The new pieces made good hand warmers right off the press. The Philadelphia Mint had to dig out the floor in a room to accommodate the press because it was so tall.

What's the biggest difference between the presses today vs. 100 years ago...the materials they are made out of, or the accuracy we can implement using lasers, etc. ? 

They are able to make lots of MS and PF70s' even in 5 ounce size.  Tough to make flawless coins with fields that big.  Even easier for 1 and 2 ouncers.

On 1/9/2022 at 11:02 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What's the biggest difference between the presses today vs. 100 years ago...the materials they are made out of, or the accuracy we can implement using lasers, etc. ? 

They are able to make lots of MS and PF70s' even in 5 ounce size.  Tough to make flawless coins with fields that big.  Even easier for 1 and 2 ouncers.

It’s kind of like comparing a Model T to a modern sports car. But in a nutshell the differences are accuracy and efficiency. It’s also not just the presses but the making of hubs/dies. The mint can do in 30 minutes today what would have taken weeks or months 100 years ago and do it with accuracy. Master dies are made using a CNC versus previous methods that required reduction of large scale models and hand engraving. With that said the differences aren’t something to simply answer the question. It will require some reading. If you want to simply see the differences compare and contrast the following process. 

Historic:

Today:

https://www.coinnews.net/2013/09/20/how-the-philadelphia-mint-makes-coins-for-circulation/