• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 P 25c large die gouge

14 posts in this topic

I was looking thru rolls of the new quarter (crossing the Delaware) and came across this huge die gouge.

Just wondering if anyone else has found these. It is on both sides of washingtons neck. I thought it

was pretty amazing that this got thru to production.  ps. iphone picture.

2021_p_25c.jpg

On 1/4/2022 at 2:47 AM, asdfgh said:

I was looking thru rolls of the new quarter (crossing the Delaware) and came across this huge die gouge.

Just wondering if anyone else has found these. It is on both sides of washingtons neck. I thought it

was pretty amazing that this got thru to production.  ps. iphone picture.

2021_p_25c.jpg

I was roll searching and came across a roll that had 5 or 6 in it just like that 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It seems that your coin was struck on an incomplete planchet, which is more significant than the lines.

I see this a lot and it’s always at the edge of the devices. I am embarrassed to say I don’t know for sure what causes it. I have been told in the past that it was the result of grease, but I’m not fully convinced if that is the case or not. I don’t believe it is a die gouge, but whatever it is it happens often. 

It is a die gouge from polishing the die face. I have found 17 identical coins in the search of 10 rolls. It looks more impressive in person. I had to hold it at an angle to the light to photograph it. The gouges are pretty deep and run straight across the die face from one side of washington to the other.

On 1/4/2022 at 12:07 PM, asdfgh said:

It is a die gouge from polishing the die face. I have found 17 identical coins in the search of 10 rolls. It looks more impressive in person. I had to hold it at an angle to the light to photograph it. The gouges are pretty deep and run straight across the die face from one side of washington to the other.

Are they incuse or raised? 

I was curious so did a little more reading. This has been bugging me for a while to figure out what causes this. It is, I believe, die scrapes. Although it says it is most common on the anvil die and usually causes by feeder finger scraping it obviously can be on the hammer die as well. It seems I’ve seen these in roughly equal amounts obverse/reverse. I really don’t think this is a die gouge in its strictest definition.  

http://www.error-ref.com/die-scrapes/

If the diagonal lies are raised and identical on multiple pieces, then they are caused by running file across the face of a die. This is seen on one variety of 1922-S DE. If the lines are not identical from piece to piece, then it is a mechanical error in the press.

The old explanations about feeder fingers, etc. do not apply to modern vertical presses.

On 1/4/2022 at 6:08 PM, RWB said:

If the diagonal lies are raised and identical on multiple pieces, then they are caused by running file across the face of a die. This is seen on one variety of 1922-S DE. If the lines are not identical from piece to piece, then it is a mechanical error in the press.

The old explanations about feeder fingers, etc. do not apply to modern vertical presses.

I think the file accounts for some of it. Especially in older stuff as you referenced and many Morgans for example. Agreed on feeder fingers on newer stuff. But there is often just an area of weakness at the edge of the device that appears like the metal wasn’t displaced to be formed when struck similar to the reverse of Washington’s neck here. That’s the piece I’m struggling with. In the past I was told it was grease that caused the weakness but I don’t know. Whatever it is it’s common on newer coins especially. And I don’t think a lot of it has anything to do with filing, polishing, or gouging. I don’t know what causes it to be perfectly honest. Perhaps it is just very aggressive polishing to the point that there isn’t sufficient design left to strike that area. Seems unlikely it would go that far though. 

Yes they are identical on all 17 pieces. So something messed up the die face. The feed finger thing is a possibility. I have seen that on morgan and peace dollars. Several of the VAMs I have are are listed as feed finger gouges. There are also VAMs listed a die gouges due to filing the die face.  I just dont know If with modern dies if anyone files them any more.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:21 AM, asdfgh said:

Yes they are identical on all 17 pieces. So something messed up the die face. The feed finger thing is a possibility. I have seen that on morgan and peace dollars. Several of the VAMs I have are are listed as feed finger gouges. There are also VAMs listed a die gouges due to filing the die face.  I just dont know If with modern dies if anyone files them any more.

All the ones I found was also identical to each other. The same type quarter. Washing Crossing the Deleware. There were 5 or 6 in that roll.