• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2012 Early Production Silver Eagles

1 post in this topic

Hello:

I was wondering if the 2012 "early releases" silver eagle coins could be changed to the early production designation? I have attached a picture from NGC's article (from 7/16/202) about adding the new early production label. If you notice, this is monster box box 964. I have noted that a few of the early release coins have  "from box 60" on them. It stands to reason that these earlier boxes would likely have been minted before December 31, 2011 and would qualify for the early production designation. My guess is that these coins may have been submitted via bulk submission before the addition of the "early production" label. I also noted on NGC's website that the coins must be submitted in the original sealed monster green boxes. Because there is a box designation, I can only assume that they were submitted in this fashion. I would also think that NGC has detailed records of those transactions and issued grades.

In searching the NGC census for this coin, I noted that 1416 were processed. A monster box from the US mint has 500 coins. Why are there not 1500 coins processed? Were there 84 of them that did not receive a grade because they were damaged, of other wise not eligible for grading? I have seen grade on these coins of GEM uncirculated, MS69 and MS 70. Also from the NGC census page, there are over 40 thousand early releases and over 31,000 first releases.

I realize that adding the early production label creates a niche market for those trying to collect NGC's entire American Silver eagle offerings.  But, it also stands to reason that there are many more coins that have already been processed that qualify for this label.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Paul Weikle

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.47.23 PM.png