• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 Denver Wheat Penny Errors ? Damage or Both
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1958 Denver Wheat penny I am not sure what to do with. It looks beat to hell to me but I think the is a double die in the front and lettering doing some weird stuff. On the reverse parts of the wheat are in weird strands that are not normal. 

S20211225_0001.jpg

S20211225_0004.jpg

S20211225_0011.jpg

S20211225_0012.jpg

The error in question is called the parking lot error. It happens not at the mint, but when someone drops it in a parking lot and it gets stepped on and run over quite a bit. This limits the value to $0.01.

These are unique...every one of them... and worth face value.  Now, if you could trace the damage back to specific makes of car and a certified parking lot, you could get a TPG to designate it a "Specimen" or maybe a "Special Proof" or something like that. Well, heck, it might be better than a piece of burnt toast that someone imagines looks like Mary What's-Her-Name.

Definately not a double die. The reason the letters look wierd is where it took some hits and displaced the metal pushing it in different directions. I agree with everyone else. Just a badly damaged coin worth only face value. 

On 12/25/2021 at 4:25 PM, JKK said:

The error in question is called the parking lot error. It happens not at the mint, but when someone drops it in a parking lot and it gets stepped on and run over quite a bit. This limits the value to $0.01.

Jonathan nailed this one....parking lot damage, only worth face value.