• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay and Tax Collection

6 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2021 at 2:31 PM, Simple Collector said:

I have been going round and round with EBay and their collection of state taxes on coin purchases and sales. I reside in Ohio. 

Today I received two refunds on taxes paid and expect several more which is the the first time I have been successful!

Cause for celebration; you don't see that everyday.  :golfclap:

That's weird. I live in Oregon (high income tax, no sales tax), and I never get taxed buying on Ebenezer (yet). However, people in other states get taxed buying my stuff off the site.

The distilled essence of my experience with Ebay is that you should never ascribe to malice what can credibly be ascribed to pointy-haired-boss idiocy. When one first sells there, things happen that make one think there must be some deeply nefarious purpose, because surely no intelligent human being would just DO something so stupid, pointless, inconvenient, transparent, etc. If one sticks around, one comes to realize there's no nefarious purpose. There's a PHB slinging random orders from some recess of his microcephalic brain, code monkeys who long ago realized that protest or input were futile and who just try to get it done, and absolutely zero considered input from anyone who actually uses the site. Or if I'm wrong, they are doing a great imitation of that situation.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:23 PM, JKK said:

That's weird. I live in Oregon (high income tax, no sales tax), and I never get taxed buying on Ebenezer (yet). However, people in other states get taxed buying my stuff off the site.

The distilled essence of my experience with Ebay is that you should never ascribe to malice what can credibly be ascribed to pointy-haired-boss idiocy. When one first sells there, things happen that make one think there must be some deeply nefarious purpose, because surely no intelligent human being would just DO something so stupid, pointless, inconvenient, transparent, etc. If one sticks around, one comes to realize there's no nefarious purpose. There's a PHB slinging random orders from some recess of his microcephalic brain, code monkeys who long ago realized that protest or input were futile and who just try to get it done, and absolutely zero considered input from anyone who actually uses the site. Or if I'm wrong, they are doing a great imitation of that situation.

Jonathan, as someone who has sold on eBay since 2008, you summed it right up, I think.  There's a PHB somewhere causing problems......which is a problem encountered in many places the world over, not just eBay.  I've definitely worked for organizations that had PHB problems, that's for sure.

Edited by Mohawk