• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie to Registry

11 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello and thanks for your interest.

Please click below for information on Custom Sets:

You may want to log in, EDIT set, and fill in some names for your slots (rows). Hit SAVE when finished:

image.png

image.png

Edited by Ali E.

On 12/22/2021 at 8:34 PM, ldhall said:

Hello all, I have started a custom collection on the registry named "Morgans & Peace Dollars. I would appreciate if an administrator or one of you veterans could see if I'm on the right track ? I apologize for my naiveness for this platform - blame it on my age LOL

v/r

Leroy

What made you go for a Custom set for these as opposed to a competitive set?

On 12/22/2021 at 7:34 PM, ldhall said:

Hello all, I have started a custom collection on the registry named "Morgans & Peace Dollars. I would appreciate if an administrator or one of you veterans could see if I'm on the right track ? I apologize for my naiveness for this platform - blame it on my age LOL

v/r

Leroy

I see nothing wrong with what you setup, I might have chosen a different category like Series Sets or Thematic & Topical Coins.   But that is just a personal choice on my part, I hope that you will add some photos in the future.   Its hard to appreciate any set be it custom or competitive if you cannot see the coins in the set.

Thanx for feedback, I am just learning the registry and really didn't understand the different categories (where can I read about the categories?). Any feedback is helpful. I actually stopped adding coins because I didn't know if I was on right track. Thanx again - I will add the rest soon.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:24 PM, ldhall said:

Thanx for feedback, I am just learning the registry and really didn't understand the different categories (where can I read about the categories?). Any feedback is helpful. I actually stopped adding coins because I didn't know if I was on right track. Thanx again - I will add the rest soon.

In the custom sets there are a number of categories available to choose from.

image.thumb.png.c0167f8f76308f9ad17bd67615e2012d.png

One category is not really right or wrong vs another, just a personal choice of which category fits your set the best.   This can easily be changed if in the future you decide that you want your custom set in a different category by editing the set and choosing a different category.   I currently have one set in the Thematic and Topical Coins category and one in the Other category.

You can also start competitive sets; one for the Morgan series and one for the Peace series; using the same coins in your custom set should you decide that you want to do that in the future too.   There are many choices, none are wrong so choose what fits for you.

• Administrator

Here are some help links to custom set information (down at the bottom of this link.) Please let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help.

Leroy, and possibly Revenant as well, I have an interest in making a Custom Set.

My "potential" reason for going with a Custom Set is that the set owner can assign the order in which the coins are listed and displayed.

This is important to me because my US Gold Type Set is a minimalist approach to spanning the years involved, thereby having as few coins as possible to capture the essence of the collection, and the only way for my type set to display "coherently" is by having the final say in the display order of the coins.  For Competitive Sets, especially Type Sets, the coins are displayed/listed in order of denomination, and my collection suffers terribly by this limitation:  the creativity I applied to collecting the coins is lost entirely, and the "narrow" display approach (only one way, you don't like it… too bad) is a major turnoff.

Unfortunately, the software for the Custom Sets is nothing short of "ancient history" and has been this way all along.

Ali E., is NGC planning to upgrade the Custom Sets software… this year?  It's horrible right now, and you don't need me to point this out… everyone here knows it.

Also, in your thread NGC Registry - What new features would you like to see added? I responded with an idea or two, never heard a peep from NGC on the ideas, and a collector or two gave me high praise for injecting my thoughts.

Maybe you could summarize the ideas NGC is presently working on to improve the Competitive and Custom Registry sets for 2022.  Give us something to hope for.

Bob

On 1/19/2022 at 9:18 PM, Revenant said:

Sounds like it'll be interesting when you're done. (thumbsu

Easier, than I thought, and I'll probably come back to tweak things a little more.

But for now, my only Custom Set has been created, slot order defined, and then just loaded the coins and their pre-existing descriptions.

Done.  Was an effortless process and I learned a few things.  Just have to log out and revisit the Custom Sets to see what others see when they come across it when browsing.

Now it's up to NGC to "get with the program" and update the Custom Sets software to bring it to the same level of excellence as the Competitive Sets.

• Administrator
On 1/18/2022 at 2:07 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Leroy, and possibly Revenant as well, I have an interest in making a Custom Set.

My "potential" reason for going with a Custom Set is that the set owner can assign the order in which the coins are listed and displayed.

This is important to me because my US Gold Type Set is a minimalist approach to spanning the years involved, thereby having as few coins as possible to capture the essence of the collection, and the only way for my type set to display "coherently" is by having the final say in the display order of the coins.  For Competitive Sets, especially Type Sets, the coins are displayed/listed in order of denomination, and my collection suffers terribly by this limitation:  the creativity I applied to collecting the coins is lost entirely, and the "narrow" display approach (only one way, you don't like it… too bad) is a major turnoff.

Unfortunately, the software for the Custom Sets is nothing short of "ancient history" and has been this way all along.

Ali E., is NGC planning to upgrade the Custom Sets software… this year?  It's horrible right now, and you don't need me to point this out… everyone here knows it.

Also, in your thread NGC Registry - What new features would you like to see added? I responded with an idea or two, never heard a peep from NGC on the ideas, and a collector or two gave me high praise for injecting my thoughts.

Maybe you could summarize the ideas NGC is presently working on to improve the Competitive and Custom Registry sets for 2022.  Give us something to hope for.

Bob

Hello, Bob.

We appreciate your thoughtful feedback. Our programmers have a full docket of projects to complete for all CCG companies, including the new card divisions and stamps. The move for NGC Custom Sets is definitely on the docket. We cannot promise a certain date, at this point. Thanks for your patience.