• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2021 WCD Quarters Going for high $$$
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, Mohawk said:

That's pretty nuts, IMHO.  These coins only came out this year and I'm certain there are many from Mint Sets that haven't been submitted yet.  If a lot of 69's come out of the Mint Sets, which may happen, these prices will be unsustainable, I think.  There are good, scarce modern coins.  I know this...I sell them.  However, I have my doubts that any of the WCDs will be among them in the long run.  What I think we're seeing with these is that there are some people that just cannot wait....they just have to be first in getting anything and will pay the price to do so.  

I thought the one and done factor might play a role in it. Doesn’t seem like the Tuskegee quarter is getting as much attention, but I haven't seen a MS69 or what it would or did go for.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:20 PM, Lem E said:

I thought the one and done factor might play a role in it. Doesn’t seem like the Tuskegee quarter is getting as much attention, but I haven't seen a MS69 or what it would or did go for.

Yeah, the Tuskegee quarter is kind of being forgotten....you're right.  I wonder if it's just collector apathy regarding the ATB quarters that's doing it.  Or it could be fallout from the W quarters.  While many collectors enjoyed the hunt for them (I found a few myself and my dad gave me one.  That one's in the permanent collection), other collectors really got p*ssed off about them.  The S mint quarters, they could buy right from the U.S. Mint, but not the W's.  These collectors had to wait for them to be retrieved from circulation and then for people who did retrieve them to sell them to dealers or offer them for sale themselves.  The fact that they were only available through general circulation also means that those collecting these coins in super high grades couldn't get the W's in as high of grade, or if they could, they had to pay out the butt for them.  While the whole W quarter thing did foster good will from some of us in the hobby, it also p*ssed a lot of collectors off and may have caused them to abandon their ATB collections.  I wonder if the lack of interest in the Tuskegee quarter is the manifestation of those collectors who were alienated by the whole W quarter thing.  I don't know for sure, but I definitely think it plays some kind of a role.

Edited by Mohawk

On 12/17/2021 at 7:58 PM, Lem E said:

This should be interesting, I think. :popcorn:

Tuskegee Airmen is just another quarter in the ATB/Parks series.  The Crossing the Delaware is a one year type.  Type collectors care less about Tuskegee, but need the CTD. I don't know any collectors personally that are building an ATB set in MS69 (or even 66-67), but I DO know lots working on Type Sets in blazing grades.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 12/17/2021 at 10:37 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Tuskgee Airmen is just another quarter in the Parks series.  The Crossing the Delaware is a one year type.  Type collectors care less about Tuskegee, but need the CTD. 

That's a good point, Neo.....I actually hadn't thought of that. It may well play a role in the prices they achieve.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:01 PM, Lem E said:

Plus there were no rolls available for the WCD. I just thought of that as well.

There were, just not as a Mint product. I got a solid roll at a bank.

On 12/18/2021 at 7:30 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

WCD will out pace the P & D Tuskegee, easily, I think. NGC census has over 30 each of the P & D, no census details available for the WCD's yet, but it the seller is to believed there is a Pop of 5. They probably have all 5. People will gladly pay a crazy premium to get the first high grade coins, as more are graded at 69 prices will fall. I do think that this is just a more popular design, ATB fatigue, a one year type, and seeing what's coming next year surly play a part, but I think that people just like this quarter. The Mint actually hit a home run on this one, and so will this seller.

The quality of the Washington Crossing quarters is pretty astounding over all.

On 12/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, VKurtB said:

I've gotten many a solid roll of WCDs.....and put them into Laundromat machines lol

On 12/18/2021 at 12:47 PM, VKurtB said:

Sorry, yes I was referring to mint rolls. I do however see more WCDs in circulation than Tuskegees. That has been my experience in my area anyway. I pay cash for just about everything and at the beginning of the year I was seeing a lot of the Tuskegee coins and then never saw another one. I still get WCDs in change and have more of those than the Tuskegees. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:24 PM, Lem E said:

Sorry, yes I was referring to mint rolls. I do however see more WCDs in circulation than Tuskegees. That has been my experience in my area anyway. I pay cash for just about everything and at the beginning of the year I was seeing a lot of the Tuskegee coins and then never saw another one. I still get WCDs in change and have more of those than the Tuskegees. 

I have still not gotten a Denver Mint Tuskegee in commerce, despite the fact that I live in a “mixed” coin area and have traveled to D-intensive areas. I have gotten more P Tuskegees than I can count. Most of those truly high end WCD and Tuskegees are coming from cut up uncirculated sets.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:32 PM, VKurtB said:

I have still not gotten a Denver Mint Tuskegee in commerce, despite the fact that I live in a “mixed” coin area and have traveled to D-intensive areas. I have gotten more P Tuskegees than I can count. Most of those truly high end WCD and Tuskegees are coming from cut up uncirculated sets.

Exact opposite here. All Denver coinage. I have several nice Tuskegee Ds from fresh bank rolls but not a Philly coin in sight. By the time I see a Philly coin, it has been around the block a few times. 

On 12/18/2021 at 4:45 PM, Lem E said:

Exact opposite here. All Denver coinage. I have several nice Tuskegee Ds from fresh bank rolls but not a Philly coin in sight. By the time I see a Philly coin, it has been around the block a few times. 

I had it even worse when I lived in Pennsylvania. Virtually never saw a D coin there. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, Coinbuf said:

....but if you play in the modern registry sets and want to keep your #1 rank you cannot afford the luxury of waiting.   Just one of the reasons I think the modern registry sets are money pits from a collector perspective. 

[You've got that right. Upgrades and maintaing currency, are inevitable.]

On 12/18/2021 at 4:47 PM, VKurtB said:

I had it even worse when I lived in Pennsylvania. Virtually never saw a D coin there. 

I would think I would see a bit of a mix here being almost smack in the middle but that is not the case.

On 12/18/2021 at 3:45 PM, Lem E said:

Same for me here in the southwest, I seldom see a P mint coin.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:32 PM, VKurtB said:

They have to be.  The ones I've seen in rolls have been pretty lackluster...no way any of them would make a 69, or even a 66!! Those fields on the obverse get marked up pretty quickly, it seems.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

Same for me here in the southwest, I seldom see a P mint coin.

In the Finger Lakes Region of New York, I rarely see D's and when I do, they're typically from the 1990s or early 2000 at the youngest.  You're actually more likely to find newer Canadian coinage in my area than newer Denver coinage.  It's all P's here.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, Mohawk said:

They have to be.  The ones I've seen in rolls have been pretty lackluster...no way any of them would make a 69, or even a 66!! Those fields on the obverse get marked up pretty quickly, it seems.

All of those coins above in the listings are from the uncirculated sets. It’s on the label.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:06 PM, Lem E said:

All of those coins above in the listings are from the uncirculated sets. It’s on the label.

Oh yeah....they are.  Sorry I missed that LemE.  I think I was just so shocked at the prices that the labels didn't compute.  Thanks for pointing that out.