• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947/51 Spain Una Peseta Overstrike?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

[I believe the mystery to this goes beyond overstrikes, understrikes, weak strikes, bold strikes, broad strikes, strike-throughs, etc.

Your father kept these coins for purely personal reasons.

The fact that they may display specific coin characteristics as defined by another continent, decades later, is incidental. That's my take.]  🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Add closing bracket; add word.

Does look like there might be something there, my first thought was a die clash but I'm having a hard time matching the markings. Do the marks match the design on the other side? Definitely interesting. hm

On 12/12/2021 at 12:52 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Does look like there might be something there, my first thought was a die clash but I'm having a hard time matching the markings. Do the marks match the design on the other side? Definitely interesting. hm

I think it is a die clash, Mike.  I think what we're seeing is a clash of the reverse eagle's head and the scroll around it.  I have no idea on how to make an overlay, so I hope that this little message is enough for everyone to discern what I'm seeing.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:21 PM, RWB said:

Clashed dies - dies came together without a planchet between them. No trace of anything resembling "1951" date. How did the OP determine this was "1947/1951" ?

On many of these Spanish coins, there is a "series" date (1947 in this case) and a minted date.  The minted date is located on the 2 stars on either side of UNA on the reverse.  19 is on the lower star and 51 is on the upper star.  Later series such as 1957 only use one star with the last 2 digits of the date.

I think this holds try for all of the minor denominations, but haven't looked them up for confirmation.

On 12/12/2021 at 3:28 PM, JKN said:

Mohawk and Oldhoopster are correct I think. The marks do seem to align with eagle head and scroll from reverse. Does this add any value to the coin?

Probably not.  The error market in general is very small, and most of it is focused on U.S. errors.  European errors are not very popular.  Most European collectors want an error free version of a particular coin.  As a result, there is next to no demand for European errors.  I'd say your coin is likely worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it, if you can manage to find a buyer.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:10 PM, Mohawk said:

I think it is a die clash, Mike.  I think what we're seeing is a clash of the reverse eagle's head and the scroll around it.  I have no idea on how to make an overlay, so I hope that this little message is enough for everyone to discern what I'm seeing.

Yeah, I went down that path but it just wasn't matching up in my brain for some reason. :insane: I'm not firing on all cylinders today. lol

On 12/12/2021 at 2:39 PM, Oldhoopster said:

On many of these Spanish coins, there is a "series" date (1947 in this case) and a minted date.  The minted date is located on the 2 stars on either side of UNA on the reverse.  19 is on the lower star and 51 is on the upper star.  Later series such as 1957 only use one star with the last 2 digits of the date.

I think this holds try for all of the minor denominations, but haven't looked them up for confirmation.

❤️