• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone remember when the Mint began "snake skin" proofs?

14 posts in this topic

I remember them being awful looking things, but can't remember when they started.

Edited by RWB

According to this guy around 09'

"

RWB Posts: 8,153
The “frosted” surface is generated by laser, not by sandblasting the relief. The laser offers more precise control and w/o magnification the difference cannot be easily noticed. Under magnification, it resembles snake skin or mechanical engraving."

Here's a sequence of quarters from 2008, 2009, and 2010.

796868112_compositesnake.thumb.jpg.726001355ff386dde461b4b73f43b294.jpg

2008 frosting was made by polishing a size of the coin, then making a frisket (a protective mask) on the field and sandblasting the relief. In 2009 the manual frisket was not used. A computer controlled laser popped little depressions in the relief but was supposed to avoid the field. By 1910 the mint had further refined the incompetence by using a larger size laser spot and more aggressive abrasion. This last result proved that management at that time didn't care are anything except "cheap and ugly." It took a decade to reach the current state of frosting that remains inferior to the "old fashioned" way. (I used photos of 900% silver proofs so that the results could be compared to traditional proofs where the frost came from routine acid treatment of new dies.)

I’ve never seen it described as “snake skin” by anybody but you, Roger, but yes, it coincided with the end of matte finish uncirculated set coins. The quality under serious magnification still pretty much stinks.

Edited by VKurtB

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Sometimes the lasering is slightly out of sync with the die, leaving a sliver of relief unfrosted and a sliver of frosting on the field at the other side of the relief device. NGC sometimes get these coins mistakenly submitted as doubled-dies.

Yep. The famous "slight overrun" excuse from the die dept. when asked -- as if they were painting a house.

:)

On 12/9/2021 at 3:29 PM, DWLange said:

Sometimes the lasering is slightly out of sync with the die, leaving a sliver of relief unfrosted and a sliver of frosting on the field at the other side of the relief device. NGC sometimes get these coins mistakenly submitted as doubled-dies.

/eye roll recorded on Richter Scale. Doubled dies. Sheesh. We should ban the phrase.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:50 PM, VKurtB said:

I’ve never seen it described as “snake skin” by anybody but you, Roger, but yes, it coincided with the end of matte finish uncirculated set coins. The quality under serious magnification still pretty much stinks.

(This post reminds me to urge you to recognize I have reconciled your admonition against Never using a magnification exceeding 5-x to 7-x, for "grading".  For coins requiring meaningful "autopsy," supporting a finding of cause of death, requires higher magnification such as is provided by your heavy artillery: two lense microscope, is warranted and acceptable.]  I respectfully acquiesce.