• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of German mint error 1 Pfennig
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Still sorting through my fathers collection that I inherited about 15 years ago, and have finally been going through in the last few months. I have this 1894 E 1 pfennig which catalog values at around $70 for normal coin. Wondering what kind of value this error adds? Can’t locate any similar coins in my research. Any thought? ThanksD531056C-9F88-4EA1-BEF3-53E528D79568.thumb.jpeg.6d09b7ab2dca90c3acba909ebefc54f9.jpeg8A4C7146-1082-4421-93A2-337399057347.thumb.jpeg.3dbede73cbd01ca6ec33c1bfc29705c4.jpeg

Major off center strike. I would assume that it has some value. Other denominations that have this are usually worth something. What that value is, I’m not sure. Nice piece though.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:09 PM, JKN said:

Still sorting through my fathers collection that I inherited about 15 years ago, and have finally been going through in the last few months. I have this 1894 E 1 pfennig which catalog values at around $70 for normal coin. Wondering what kind of value this error adds? Can’t locate any similar coins in my research. Any thought? ThanksD531056C-9F88-4EA1-BEF3-53E528D79568.thumb.jpeg.6d09b7ab2dca90c3acba909ebefc54f9.jpeg8A4C7146-1082-4421-93A2-337399057347.thumb.jpeg.3dbede73cbd01ca6ec33c1bfc29705c4.jpeg

That is a very cool find. Great condition to. There are error collectors who would love to get hold of that. I dont know what kind of value to put on it. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, JKN said:

Thanks for the responses! Any recommendations on people or dealers that specialize in mint errors?

I’m not much of a world coin or error guy, but I’m sure someone with a little more knowledge on this subject will chime in.

You might contact the CONECA people. I am not sure to what degree they deal with non-US coins, but that'd be the place I'd start. How you have determined the date would be interesting to learn.

It’s an 1894E pfennig, according to my fathers notes. Suppose it could be a 1904 as the 4 is the only number in the date that is visible, and that coin was minted for those two years.

On 12/7/2021 at 2:49 PM, JKN said:

It’s an 1894E pfennig, according to my fathers notes. Suppose it could be a 1904 as the 4 is the only number in the date that is visible, and that coin was minted for those two years.

Your father's notes could be correct. Or not. Seems to me it could also be a 1914-E. In any case, the notes will not suffice for positive authentication of date, so there is likely to be some uncertainly regarding value.

On 12/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, JKN said:

JKK, true! I forgot they minted them through 1916. Any idea of what kind of premium the error could bring?

No. I don't collect errors. You should ask CONECA.

On 12/7/2021 at 6:30 PM, JKN said:

JKK, true! I forgot they minted them through 1916. Any idea of what kind of premium the error could bring?

Well....I'm with JKK and I don't collect errors, but I do know the German/European market somewhat and I wouldn't get my hopes up too high on this.  Errors aren't as hot with European collectors as they are with American collectors.  Most European collectors would rather have an error free version of a given coin than an error and there are very, very few European collectors that specialize in error coins.  Your best hope is that an this will catch the eye of an American collector that's into errors from around the world, but this is a small market, as well.  I collect German and I can honestly say that I wouldn't be interested in your coin....certainly not at a premium.  Ask CONECA to be sure, but I think you're likely in a situation where your coin is worth whatever a buyer will pay for it, if you can locate a buyer.  Most errors that carry large premiums are U.S. errors because that's the area of the market that most error collectors are active in.  Just because a coin has an error does not mean that it's valuable.

Edited by Mohawk

The error market is thin in itself. But the non-U.S. coin error market among U.S. collectors is really REALLY thin, like sheets of graphene thin.