• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Collecting Morgan and Peace dollars by die variety.

16 posts in this topic

Recently, the numismatic property of Leroy VanAllen was purchased by Dr. Michael Fey.

That raises a more general question of how many board members collect silver dollars by VanAllen-Mallis (VAM) varieties? Also how many have tried, but been put-off by the mass of listings and confusion?

Merely curious.

On 12/4/2021 at 3:20 PM, RWB said:

Recently, the numismatic property of Leroy VanAllen was purchased by Dr. Michael Fey.

That raises a more general question of how many board members collect silver dollars by VanAllen-Mallis (VAM) varieties? Also how many have tried, but been put-off by the mass of listings and confusion?

Merely curious.

I currently do not own any VAM Morgan or Peace dollars, but the short time ive been collecting Ive seen many many VAMs out there. I dont know exactly how many there actually is but I do know it would be quite a feat to aquire them all. I seen a list a couple years ago that had several mentioned on it. I never paid much attention to it because I was focusing on other parts of my collection.  One day I may start to collect a few but, as of now Ive been focusing on other coins. My hats off to anyone who has tried to tackle the feat of collecting all the VAMs out there. It would be very interesting to read a book on them one of these days to get a better understanding on the topic. 

On 12/4/2021 at 4:40 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I currently do not own any VAM Morgan or Peace dollars, but the short time ive been collecting Ive seen many many VAMs out there. I dont know exactly how many there actually is but I do know it would be quite a feat to aquire them all. I seen a list a couple years ago that had several mentioned on it. I never paid much attention to it because I was focusing on other parts of my collection.  One day I may start to collect a few but, as of now Ive been focusing on other coins. My hats off to anyone who has tried to tackle the feat of collecting all the VAMs out there. It would be very interesting to read a book on them one of these days to get a better understanding on the topic. 

...currently over 2000 vam varities listed...compare that to the 450+ overton half dollar varities, which is daunting to complete.....

On 12/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, zadok said:

...currently over 2000 vam varities listed...compare that to the 450+ overton half dollar varities, which is daunting to complete.....

Only way to get people worked up to collect coins that sat unwanted in canvas for decade after decade, I guess.

On 12/4/2021 at 4:40 PM, Hoghead515 said:

feat of ... VAMs

Hmmmm.... VAMs don't have feet --- maybe you meant "Vans?" :) Actually, trying a bit of humor.

I don't know that anyone has found all of them - and most are crushingly trivial. But, it is possibly of interest to many because of the extensive ( ! ) database of varieties and photos, and the abundance of unsearched Morgan and Peace dollars floating about. (There's a nice 1922 variety in a "newby post.")

I currently have VAM 3,4,5,6,Stage 3 2B, and 8A of the Carson City Morgans.  All are graded MS and I am only interested in the CC Morgans.

Edited by Alex in PA.
spelling

On 12/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, World Colonial said:

I suspect cost and lack of interest rank first and second, in that order. 

100% agree.  Those and the fact that there ae so many VAMs, both Morgan and Peace, make it economically out of sight.  ANACS was the only one where you could get all the VAMs and at low cost.

The VAM database can be helpful in identifying counterfeits through mismatched false dies, and in identifying genuine coins with unusual die combinations. I recall that for 1893-S there are two reverse dies - one is seen on nearly all coins and the other on just a few. Some genuine coins have been rejected because the "authenticator" (a business not to be named) did not know about the 2nd variety until privately informed.

On 12/5/2021 at 12:22 PM, RWB said:

Hmmmm.... VAMs don't have feet --- maybe you meant "Vans?" :) Actually, trying a bit of humor.

Humor is ok; "inappropriate" humor, never. Want to hear a real knee-slapper?  I never knew what VAM stood for until you posted this thread.  🐓 

On 12/5/2021 at 7:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Humor is ok; "inappropriate" humor, never. Want to hear a real knee-slapper?  I never knew what VAM stood for until you posted this thread.  🐓 

Well, it really makes little difference to know what "VAM" abbreviates. Criteria for a VAM variety can be a little "strange." Strong clash marks would get listed if a letter, or fragment thereof, were transferred to the opposite coin face, but not if letters were absent. Lots of things are called "rust" when they are not, etc. But all that is immaterial if collectors can find additional pleasure in this hobby specialty. :)

Edited by RWB

On 12/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, DWLange said:

Most examples of "rust" are actually the product of spalling on the die.

...and this has taken decades to sink into the minds of many.

Edited by RWB

On 12/5/2021 at 11:25 AM, RWB said:

crushingly trivial.

The best two words to describe VAM varieties that I have ever seen.