• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this look suspect?

6 posts in this topic

This is offered for sale as a 1894-P  Morgan dollar, which would be worth $1,000+ if genuine, but it looks to me like an “S” mintmark has been removed.  I asked the seller about it, his response was that I “have no idea what I’m talking about”.  What do you think?

2C91752C-4771-4DCC-A2D0-9FDC4E6CC029.jpeg

Edited by CBC

I wouldn't buy it.  It does look suspect to me and you're right......it does look like an S mintmark may have been removed.  There are other 1894's out there from sellers who would be a lot more helpful to you than this seller was and that aren't suspect.  However, with the 1894, I'd strongly urge you to buy a certified example.  Since the 1894-S and 1894-O Morgans are worth a fraction of what the 1894 is in most grades, there's a lot of incentive for a faker to remove the mintmarks from them.  With a certified example, you'd have no concerns about the coin.  

I am only considering buying a NGC or PCGS example, possibly an ANACS for crossover if it looks good and is priced right.  My searches pull up raw coins also, and this one looked too obvious to me.  18 bidders already with several days left to go, but the seller and the auction venue seem to have no hesitation about selling a fake.  

On 11/20/2021 at 12:53 PM, Mohawk said:

.it does look like an S mintmark may have been removed.

I second that.  And if you buy an ANACS look for the small, white ANA / ANACS old holders.  Their grades were fairly solid for the time.

Two more raw 1894-P (?) Morgans just sold on ebay in the last few days.  Maybe I’m looking too hard at the mintmark area, but both look like there is evidence of a ghostly “S” in the right position.  Sellers were asked about them, and in both cases said they looked legit and completed the auctions.

EDBC6CAB-45D9-44DF-919F-F61F67490909.jpeg

8C9EB62A-89D6-46BE-A543-6222FA2B1769.jpeg