• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Toned Surprise

3 posts in this topic

I ran across the first pic on ebay  and immediately thought 'FAKE'. The reverse of that coin is covered completely in a golden tone. So ive seen the faked tone coin and browsed around a bit more and ran across an even more amazingly toned coin but this time the toning on the obverse was matched by what was on the reverse. Now the most amazing thing about the 2nd coin is that it comes slabbed in a PCGS case with a rating of MS6.

S.E.crossToned.jpg

S.E.crossHatch.jpg

S.E.crossHatchReverse.jpg

These silver eagles can tone pretty wild and under plenty of different circumstances. I'm sure plenty have been intentional also and it makes me wonder sometimes if the TPG's can tell the difference from NT to AT on these. Here's one I had in storage for about 3 yrs that was stuck in a manilla envelope. Was blast white when I put it up. Looked like this when I found it after unpacking. 

5ab054c8077f5_2013TonedSAE.jpg.35397daf6e4b315340c074f039926c2c.jpg

I found two silver eagles my dad had, 91 & 97, that were in their mint boxes but the boxes were cut to fit the coins without a protective case (when did the mint ship eagles in boxes cut like that??). They were both obverse side up and both have a slightly dark toning with hints of color to them and one had some colored toning on the reverse. Ive read other accounts of eagles being placed in envelopes like yours were and toning very nicely.