• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sometimes Counterfeiters Make it Easy

8 posts in this topic

I thought perhaps that a bit of levity in this subforum might be in order.

Unquestionably, fakes are a huge scourge on this hobby, especially since China allows it.  But sometimes, the counterfeiters are too smart by half.

FakeMorgan.jpg

FakeReverse.jpg

I know some of our members object to the use of my term, "legitimate counterfeit," but private minters get by the coin stamped "COPY" by simply issuing it in double the thickness and weight and rendering representations true to historical detail in alternate metals, such as in silver for gold and copper for silver. Others enlarge their "coins."  For example, my 1856 Flying Eagle Cent is a faithful reproduction -- but measures 3" in diameter.  Likewise in the world of bars and ingots, uniqueness rules. There is only one "Eureka" bar and it's precise provenance and prevalence (none) are known as are its specifications.

My grandson found this in abandoned car. It must have been one of the earlier ones. The counterfeiters sort of forgot something.

IMG_20220613_084651[1].jpg

IMG_20220613_084658.jpg