• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just received an order for a slabbed Morgan from the UK. USPS does not accept collectible coins to ship internationally. Does anyone know how to do it legally?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Need some help how do you ship (legally) numismatic coins to the UK from the USA when USPS won't ship collectible coins internationally? Hope someone out there knows how to do this. I note dealers on MA-Shops are required to ship worldwide there must be a way. Thanks.

I found this on the usps site. Have you taken it to usps already and they said no?

Link to index Go to next section of document

Country Conditions for Mailing - Great Britain and Northern Ireland
(Includes England, Scotland, Wales,
Northern Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey,
Alderney, Sark, and the Isle of Man)

Coins; banknotes; currency notes (paper money); securities payable to bearer; traveler's checks; manufactured and unmanufactured platinum, gold, silver; precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles, may only be sent in registered letter-post shipments or insured parcel post.

Edited by bsshog40

Im going through this right now with trying to ship a collection from the US to Europe.

USPS will ship it but they wont insure it for more than $49 once it leaves the US.

Dealers usually have special arraignments / agreements with third-party shippers to send coins, and they are almost always covered under a private insurance policy the dealer has.

Shipping internationally if you dont have private insurance is a shoot. It might get there, it might not.

...there r numerous ways to ship collector coins to UK n EU countries legally n sensibly, most do have some risks n loss protection issues however....the intent of the usps codes r meant to discourage shipments of legal circulating currency n bullion n high dollar untraceable items, but if u choose to do so the restrictions r calculated to trace or track dollar amounts being shipped etc...replacement value of lost/destroyed/stolen items is at the peril of the sender n the non-consistency of the usps claims process....there r numerous third party insurance firms available to offset this risk...i frequently ship collector coins to many countries in the world mostly without consequence, some countries should be avoided as their postal systems r suspect n often without recourse...for coins like morgans as u mentioned  in the $100-$200 range i just use the registered mail with corresponding insurance n take my chances...for high dollar items $1000-$20,000 i use third party coverage like Parcelpro, there r others...for $20,000-$50,000 i use couriers...u should read the coverage disclosures carefully, often the policies address specific items n at times refer to collectibles, id obtain confirmation that the item u r shipping is covered as a collectible...personally i have had minimal issues over a 30+ year period....3 or 4 issues of lost or stolen items in international shipments totaling less than $2000, actually have had more claims on items within the US than internationally.....

On 11/14/2021 at 10:30 PM, zadok said:

...there r numerous ways to ship collector coins to UK n EU countries legally n sensibly, most do have some risks n loss protection issues however....the intent of the usps codes r meant to discourage shipments of legal circulating currency n bullion n high dollar untraceable items, but if u choose to do so the restrictions r calculated to trace or track dollar amounts being shipped etc...replacement value of lost/destroyed/stolen items is at the peril of the sender n the non-consistency of the usps claims process....there r numerous third party insurance firms available to offset this risk...i frequently ship collector coins to many countries in the world mostly without consequence, some countries should be avoided as their postal systems r suspect n often without recourse...for coins like morgans as u mentioned  in the $100-$200 range i just use the registered mail with corresponding insurance n take my chances...for high dollar items $1000-$20,000 i use third party coverage like Parcelpro, there r others...for $20,000-$50,000 i use couriers...u should read the coverage disclosures carefully, often the policies address specific items n at times refer to collectibles, id obtain confirmation that the item u r shipping is covered as a collectible...personally i have had minimal issues over a 30+ year period....3 or 4 issues of lost or stolen items in international shipments totaling less than $2000, actually have had more claims on items within the US than internationally.....

I went to the USPS and used the tariff number for coins and metal which they promptly refused to ship. Could you tell me what you use for a description and tariff number in the customs form. The value of the Morgan is $185.00 . Thank you

On 11/15/2021 at 10:35 PM, Walter Holmes said:

I went to the USPS and used the tariff number for coins and metal which they promptly refused to ship. Could you tell me what you use for a description and tariff number in the customs form. The value of the Morgan is $185.00 . Thank you

...i never use the tariff numbers n i never state that it is anything close to the name of any actual currency or legal circulating currency....use ur imagination....commemorative medal, memorial token, etc etc .....if u prefer to list the item as its actual numismatic name then it would probably be best to use a third party insurer to cover it....additionally, most of the coins i receive from europe r listed the same on the various customs forms...tokens, medals, commemorative etc.....

On 11/15/2021 at 11:12 PM, zadok said:

...i never use the tariff numbers n i never state that it is anything close to the name of any actual currency or legal circulating currency....use ur imagination....commemorative medal, memorial token, etc etc .....if u prefer to list the item as its actual numismatic name then it would probably be best to use a third party insurer to cover it....additionally, most of the coins i receive from europe r listed the same on the various customs forms...tokens, medals, commemorative etc.....

Nieveity is bliss lol Thank you for all of your help. 

On 11/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, Walter Holmes said:

Nieveity is bliss lol Thank you for all of your help. 

...or naïveté even.