• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1859 Indian Head Penny Mint Error?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I inherited my fathers collection about 15 years ago. Started going through it and educating myself on it contents about six months ago. There is what looks to be an 1859 Indian Head penny that was possibly struck on a dime planchet. It weighs 1.6 grams. 2C57F4F2-DA3E-4F91-A93A-B94664FC550B.jpeg.a76160604f849d51826dc742156d93d6.jpeg4DB3EFF7-4C6C-4C98-A100-0DE6688C10B8.jpeg.e6fd6a0212b823adc0c08a197ecb22a0.jpegAA7E1B0F-2274-46F1-9DE2-6A102DBF9D97.jpeg.c84f20980f2e8e955ee2ac517e3e5502.jpegHaven’t seen any similar error coins in my research. Any  help would be appreciated.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, JKN said:

Bob, thanks for your response. It is a much thinner planchet and smaller in diameter than a normal penny as shown in third photo.

Yep. That's what acid does. It also erodes the devices and fields more or less equally, so that the design remains legible even when the coin is almost paper thin. I have not done the experiment myself, yet, but I have seen quite a few coins treated this way

On 11/11/2021 at 7:31 PM, JKN said:

Coinbuf and JustBob thanks again for your response. What type of acid and for what reason would someone do that to a coin? Especially a FYI?

It'snot an error, it's been exposed to something acidic

It's impossible to determine the type of acid or the motive.  However, I did perform this experiment a number of times while in grad school.  HNO3 works really well.  

Your coin was not struck on a dime planchet.  In 1859, dime planchet weighed 2.67 grams, so you're still missing a gram.

On 11/11/2021 at 5:31 PM, JKN said:

Coinbuf and JustBob thanks again for your response. What type of acid and for what reason would someone do that to a coin? Especially a FYI?

As @Oldhoopster said unless you I or Bob were there it is impossible to know the why and how.   One possible reason; out of many possible reasons; is that the coin many have been in the ground for an extended period of time and some acid or cleaning agent was used to remove the crud and grime from the coin.   Also remember that there was a time when this coin was just another cent that may have fallen into a vat of some acidic substance at some factory in the late 1800's.   I'm sure that I and others can come up with many other guesses but at the end of the day it really does not matter, the coin is badly damaged and just is what it is.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:59 AM, JKN said:

Thanks to all! Obviously, there is a lot more to learn about this hobby and the coins in my fathers collection. 

Don’t despair. It’s always that way.