• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lamination error or gunk, On this 1980 D,Lincoln cent.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

[Looks like another subduction zone with clearly delineated evidence of plate tectonic boundaries, but I don't know the formal numismatic term used to describe this type of activity.] 🤔 

On 11/6/2021 at 11:18 PM, Coinbuf said:

Glue not a lamination error.

[Respectfully, the leading edge of the first numeral in the date, "1," appears to have made contact with Lincoln's profile. When's the last time you saw that? I believe there is a lot more going on below the surface of this creakin' cracklin', cretin :insane: copper, caldera: Crack-a-tau.]  😉 

On 11/7/2021 at 6:53 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Respectfully, the leading edge of the first numeral in the date, "1," appears to have made contact with Lincoln's profile. When's the last time you saw that? I believe there is a lot more going on below the surface of this creakin' cracklin', cretin :insane: copper, caldera: Crack-a-tau.]  😉 

NO 

You've been on this site for a while and should have a basic understanding of the minting and die making process (if you dont, you should have spent more time looking at the links and less time wordsmithing your posts :facepalm: ).  How could a die be made for this to occur?  It can't. Here are some links (posted previously) to help you understand the minting and die making process if you need a little refresher

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=104&v=mqPvKxJXC_Y&feature=emb_title

@Cecelia R. Valverde it's old glue/tape/adhesive residue as @Coinbuf has mentioned.  It's not  any error of any kind

Edited by Oldhoopster

@Oldhoopster How are you? Fancy meeting you here! It's been a long time!

I see you just had to get that off your chest. Problem is, I never said it was lamination; never said it was an error.  My opinion, which I believe I am entitled to, is "looks like another subduction zone..." Nothing more earth-shaking than that. Furthermore, and my apologies to the OP, there are still some of us who regard coin-collecting as a hobby to be enjoyed and not as a life and death matter. You have been on this Forum long enough to know, and I will remind you if you have forgotten, that I am an easy-going spirit one needn't pay any mind to. 😉 

......that I am an easy-going spirit one needn't pay any mind to. 😉 

My only concern is that a new collector would pay attention to your post and think they might have something rare and valuable.   Do they believe Coinbuf telling them it's damage or you whose posts makes it seem like they might have something special?  

Ok, maybe a little overreaction on my part

On 11/7/2021 at 11:43 AM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

I've been on this site for a few month's sorry I haven't learned the entire production of a penny.Those of you that weren't angry with me for posting this .

Thank You.

No problem. You had a legitimate question.  Keep posting them. 

Learning this stuff can take time.  Look at the links and save the ones you find useful. (the two I posted in my response to Quintas are good).  Also, if you're not already doing it, read all the posts.  You can learn a lot from other questions as well.

On 11/7/2021 at 9:43 AM, Cecelia R. Valverde said:

I've been on this site for a few month's sorry I haven't learned the entire production of a penny.Those of you that weren't angry with me for posting this .

Thank You.

You are fine and nobody is angry with you, asking questions is the way to learn.   My reply was rather short as I have seen this many times where I realize that you may not have.   As a learning lesson I suggest that you soak your cent in some pure acetone, not nail polish remover but some pure acetone.   It can be found at most hardware stores, use in a well ventilated area in a small glass dish with a lid and let it soak for a half hour or so.   The glue or whatever is on the coin will dissolve away or be softened to a degree that it will lift away from the coin.

Please note that if you are of a young age have a parent help you with this.