• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping a Collection Internationally ??

17 posts in this topic

I haven't been actively collecting for a while... I moved to Europe over two years ago... there's not many opportunities to buy US coins in Europe. I'm stuck between selling or moving my collection overseas, if possible

Has anyone ever shipped a large collection overseas ?

Dont say carry them on a flight... there's just too many coins to do that and I wouldnt risk it.

Is there an international art shipper or collectibles shipper that people know of, have used and/or can recommend?

Thanks...

If you are overseas, you would be ideally situated to sell. Your collection would fetch top dollar and you would save yourself the grief that comes with Customs, insurance, and freight shipping costs, not to mention health and security concerns in these uncertain times. But if you cannot bear to part with your collection, get in touch with locals who routinely ship valuables overseas for available options.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

get in touch with locals who routinely ship valuables overseas for available options.

Got the names of any locals in the US ?

On 11/6/2021 at 8:17 AM, TonerGuy said:

Got the names of any locals in the US ?

Alright, so you are here and you want to ship over there?

Check with the U.S. Postal Service, FedEx International and DHL on rates and available destinations. The arts/collectibles businesses you've mentioned all have shipping departments. As an individual you would have to do your own comparison shopping. 

It is not possible to answer your question in a responsive way without additional information. 

Do you have to pay an import duty?  You might want to confirm first.

I don't collect US coins (at all) but if leaving the US, would not bother with a US collection.  (Not sure I would even move mine.)  You'll just have the trouble of shipping it back if you move again to the US.

In Europe, you could also consign to a European auction firm but you should assume you will realize a lower price, maybe a noticeably lower price because very few aside from Americans  collect US coinage above a nominal value,

Since they do not, there is no market for US coinage at anywhere near US prices outside the US.

The other reason I wouldn't bother is because there are very few US coins which are actually hard to buy back, outside of arbitrary criteria.  There is usually going to be "slippage" in selling and then buying back, so I would consider this first before any prospective sale.

If you do decide to ship, I would use USPS Registered Mail and ship it to yourself, using private insurance if necessary.

Michael, long time, no talk! I hope you’ve been doing well.
I’m unclear as to whether you’re asking about shipping from or to the U.S., internationally. Let me know and I’ll see if I can find out anything for you.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:48 PM, MarkFeld said:

Michael, long time, no talk! I hope you’ve been doing well.
I’m unclear as to whether you’re asking about shipping from or to the U.S., internationally. Let me know and I’ll see if I can find out anything for you.

Maaarrrrrkkkkk ! How are you my friend !!! Please let me know if you find out anything... Grazie! If you have time, lets set up a call and catch up! So much to tell you... divorce, cancer, kidney failure... new love, new business... new home...

Okay everyone -- sorry I wasnt clear... My coins are in the US. I am in Europe. I would like to ship my coins to Europe.

I did my research. Most shippers like FedEx, USPS, and DHL either dont allow coins/currency to be shipped or have such low insurance rates I would not take the chance.

I was hoping there are specialized companies that just deal in shipping valuables such as collectibles, antiques, art and furniture... I guess no one here has done this before...

If I sold my collection it would be sold in the US. I wouldnt bother shipping it to Europe to sell...

Edited by TonerGuy

On 11/6/2021 at 12:20 PM, TonerGuy said:

Maaarrrrrkkkkk ! How are you my friend !!! Please let me know if you find out anything... Grazie! If you have time, lets set up a call and catch up! So much to tell you... divorce, cancer, kidney failure... new love, new business... new home...

Okay everyone -- sorry I wasnt clear... My coins are in the US. I am in Europe. I would like to ship my coins to Europe.

I did my research. Most shippers like FedEx, USPS, and DHL either dont allow coins/currency to be shipped or have such low insurance rates I would not take the chance.

I was hoping there are specialized companies that just deal in shipping valuables such as collectibles, antiques, art and furniture... I guess no one here has done this before...

If I sold my collection it would be sold in the US. I wouldnt bother shipping it to Europe to sell...

Sounds like you’ve been busy, Michael! I’ll check and let you know what, if anything, I find out. Back at you next week, either way.
If you happen to have a rare coin insurance policy, the first thing I’d recommend is to check with the carrier and see what they say about shipping options.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, TonerGuy said:

This is incorrect. Shipping cash is not allow frequently, but collectible items such as coins are OK. I've used all 3 carriers you mentioned to ship coins without issue. Personally, I find UPS to be fastest/cheapest and use them over the ones you mentioned.

As for insurance, you can get single package insurance. 

I don't know where in Europe you are, but I'd suggest contacting a large local dealer/auction house and seeing if they could arrange for the package to be sent to them and use their insurance policy.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, World Colonial said:

....because very few aside from Americans collect US coinage above a nominal value,

Since they do not, there is no market for US coinage at anywhere near US prices outside the US.

Honestly, I never even considered if the move would make economic sense. I thought this was simply a logistical matter of shipping valuables, irrespective of reason, from Point A to Point B and an open solicitation for advice.

However, the above excerpt from your comment was an eye-opener. I no longer collect U.S. coins and was unaware a). there was less demand for them  overseas, and b). the prices overseas run lower! 

I personally don't see any advantage in moving a collection there is little demand for, but this is a call the OP will have to make.

I appreciate the clarification.  🐓 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:07 PM, gmarguli said:

This is incorrect. Shipping cash is not allow frequently, but collectible items such as coins are OK. I've used all 3 carriers you mentioned to ship coins without issue. Personally, I find UPS to be fastest/cheapest and use them over the ones you mentioned.

As for insurance, you can get single package insurance. 

I don't know where in Europe you are, but I'd suggest contacting a large local dealer/auction house and seeing if they could arrange for the package to be sent to them and use their insurance policy.

I think within the US, its okay but outside the US I think there are restrictions... unfortunately UPS isnt very clear either...

Here is a list of their restricted items... its doesnt mention coins specifically but it does mention Articles of exceptional value (eg, works of art, antiques, precious stones, gold and silver) and Money and negotiable items

https://www.ups.com/nl/en/help-center/shipping-support/prohibited-items.page

On 11/6/2021 at 6:44 PM, MarkFeld said:

Sounds like you’ve been busy, Michael! I’ll check and let you know what, if anything, I find out. Back at you next week, either way.
If you happen to have a rare coin insurance policy, the first thing I’d recommend is to check with the carrier and see what they say about shipping options.

More than busy! Call me next week when you have time. My cell remains the same if you still have it. Otherwise, I can DM you.

I am 6 hours ahead of you... BTW

On 11/6/2021 at 8:38 PM, TonerGuy said:

More than busy! Call me next week when you have time. My cell remains the same if you still have it. Otherwise, I can DM you.

I am 6 hours ahead of you... BTW

Message sent.

On 11/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Honestly, I never even considered if the move would make economic sense. I thought this was simply a logistical matter of shipping valuables, irrespective of reason, from Point A to Point B and an open solicitation for advice.

However, the above excerpt from your comment was an eye-opener. I no longer collect U.S. coins and was unaware a). there was less demand for them  overseas, and b). the prices overseas run lower! 

I personally don't see any advantage in moving a collection there is little demand for, but this is a call the OP will have to make.

I appreciate the clarification.  🐓 

Yes, I was assuming OP only meant shipping the coins but covered both anyway.

More generally, for the US based collector with any collection of "meaningful" value,. I don't think it makes much sense to sell it outside the US either.  There may be exceptions but I do not know any.  Most coins are as or more liquid and easier to sell in the US than anywhere else.

Personally, unless I was going to die with it elsewhere, I'd leave it in the US or sell it.

One other point, if I did move my collection, I'd consider hand carrying the coins I liked most.  Drawback is that it would probably increase the likelihood of paying import duty.

With the OP coins though (since I now remember what he collects), this might be to his advantage.by declaring the sheet value for untoned coins if he chooses.  Can't do that if shipping unless you want to take the risk if the coins are lost or stolen.

Edited by World Colonial

On 11/6/2021 at 12:34 PM, World Colonial said:

If you do decide to ship, I would use USPS Registered Mail and ship it to yourself, using private insurance if necessary.

If you were to use Registered mail you MUST use private insurance.  Because while Registered mail is extremely safe for shipping within the US, once it leaves the country you can't guarantee the security measures and the MAXIMUM pay out by the post office if the package does get lost is $49.  Doesn't matter what the declared value and postage fee paid was, $49 is it.

Edited by Conder101

On 11/10/2021 at 9:02 PM, Conder101 said:

If you were to use Registered mail you MUST use private insurance.  Because while Registered mail is extremely safe for shipping within the US, once it leaves the country you can't guarantee the security measures and the MAXIMUM pay out by the post office if the package does get lost is $49.  Doesn't matter what the declared value and postage fee paid was, $49 is it.

Correct, this is my prior experience.

I think I have it worked out... just waiting on a couple of quotes for private insurance.

If I want to go with an art transportation company, door-to-door, safe and secure, it will cost me about $5500 without import duties/taxes or insurance. 

FedEx... probably less safe but with their insurance will be about $4000 - w/o duties or taxes.

Be aware, if you use one of the common carriers for outside the US, unless you are shipping on an account that has been approved to ship coins, you will be SOL if your package is lost. Even private insurance won't cover it.