• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Unfinished Proofs"
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have any thoughts about the recent authentication and certification of 61 Type 2 Rev. 1/4 oz. A.G.E. bullion coins "mistakenly" struck with West Point "W" mint-marked Obv. proof dies?  The hits keep on coming, and they aren't being classified as errors. Merely unfinished. Nice!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
To delete an extraneous letter; grammatical quality control.

Secret Service should immediately confiscate these while in PCGS hands and then decide whether or not they are legal to own. Oh wait ..... the Biden Secret Service is powerless on legal matters.

Edited by numisport

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I don't see the controversy. The same thing happened in 1999, and the coins have long been accepted as collectible entries in the series.

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/american-eagles-and-bullion-coins/gold-eagles-5-1986-date/?page=1

Note:  Gentlemen, kindly note that, unbeknownst to me, this subject was first addressed in a thread entitled, "New discovery  Quarter-Ounce...," by member @ccroger in greater detail on 10/26 and is still quite active. I graciously defer to him and those who left comments on his post. (worship)

I don't see a controversy, as David says it's been done before.  In fact this kind of thing has happened several times  The 1998, 99, and 2000 WAM cents are the same thing, a business strike obverse die paired with an unfinished proof reverse die.  The 1969 and 70 dimes with the modified torch reverse are also business strike obv dies and unfinished proof rev dies.