• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error or damage
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi RJoe!!

Well, in looking at your coin, I'm thinking it's definitely post-minting damage and not an error.  It looks like it was placed into contact with some kind of a corrosive chemical and that's why it has that appearance.

I don’t know much on the subject of errors but I would pass that off as post-mint and throw it back in the return pile. Nothing at the mint would cause that kind of damage. You could say it’s within the planchette but even so it wouldn’t carry much of a premium since it’s hard for the mint to detect those types of defects leaving the door. I personally wouldn’t hold on it but that’s your choice. Hell even I got a couple coins I know aren’t mint errors but look cool to me lol.

RJoe

For future reference, it can only be an error if it happens during the actual striking of the coin so ask yourself, how could anything of what you see on your coin happen at that time. The obvious answer is that there isn’t anything so the alternative is  PMD, no matter how it happened.

I purchased it with a few others but it wasn't the one I was interested in. Just came with the lot. And it wasn't advertised as an error. I just saw three eyeballs instead of one and became curious. Thanks for the help!