• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proof set coin populations separate from individual coins?

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

I am somewhat new to coin collecting. I am totally fascinated by British coins and have been trying to track down a couple of coins. I haven’t been able to find them individually but have found them in proof sets. One coin in particular had a population of 240 in the PF70 grade. I was verifying that coin which was part of a proof set and it came back of a population of 426. Why aren’t they listed as one coin?  If I were to sell off the coins I didn’t want from the proof set, would they still be priced the same as individual coins?  

Thanks for any help. 

On 10/27/2021 at 2:30 PM, Coinbuf said:

Perhaps it would be easier for us to discuss your question if you could link the populations in your op.

I am having issues finding a direct link to the populations but I can link to the coins in discussion. 

Proof set coin…(Pop 469)

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4272833-091/70/

Individual release proof…(Pop 240)

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/4274346-204/70/

I believe these are the same coin unless I’m missing something. 

Quick reminder…somewhat new so please take it easy on me if I’m wrong. 

Hi there, one of the coins is from the first 550 struck, the other is not, so it is 2 different categories, I think.

Edited by jimbo27

On 10/27/2021 at 6:21 PM, higradeguy said:

I believe these are the same coin unless I’m missing something. 

They are, just different labels/designations on the label. You can add up the totals for each "variety" or look at the overall pop report for that denomination/coin type. The proof set must have been people sending in the complete set, again, same coin just a different designation/label. 

lkjhlkhlkjh.thumb.png.0a9d0b02fd1bc8996afbb717a314e68c.png

On 10/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

They are, just different labels/designations on the label. You can add up the totals for each "variety" or look at the overall pop report for that denomination/coin type. The proof set must have been people sending in the complete set, again, same coin just a different designation/label. 

lkjhlkhlkjh.thumb.png.0a9d0b02fd1bc8996afbb717a314e68c.png

Thanks for the information. One of the 2 pound coins from a different year seems to sell for more than the complete proof set. Again the proof and individual numbers are different.  In my head I was thinking why don’t I just buy the proof set and have the rest of the denominations as an added bonus. 

On 10/27/2021 at 7:05 PM, higradeguy said:

Thanks for the information. One of the 2 pound coins from a different year seems to sell for more than the complete proof set. Again the proof and individual numbers are different.  In my head I was thinking why don’t I just buy the proof set and have the rest of the denominations as an added bonus. 

That's definitely one way to go.(thumbsu

I'm not familiar with these so I couldn't speak to the price difference between coins, my only advice would be to get what you like and not worry about the labels.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:14 AM, RWB said:

TPG authentication populations are largely meaningless. They are simply reports of coins graded, not of those produced or that exist.

I've always thought that resubmissions are a big part of the problem that's rendered the population reports essentially meaningless.......I'd imagine lots of sliders and plus and star grades have been sent in numerous times, hoping for them to "graduate" to that next level up.  

On 10/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, Mohawk said:

I've always thought that resubmissions are a big part of the problem that's rendered the population reports essentially meaningless.......I'd imagine lots of sliders and plus and star grades have been sent in numerous times, hoping for them to "graduate" to that next level up.  

I have read reports (Not sure how true they are) of people cracking and resubmitting the same coin 10 or more times, until they finally get the grade they want. There is a poster ATS whose sigline says something like: "If the grade doesn't fit - resubmit." xD

I have also read of instances in which the number of coins graded exceeds the total number minted. How can a "population report" mean anything under these circumstances?