• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JPM WWII Nickels
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering ? Maybe somebody could chime in on this question .I have been trying to buy FS coins for my collection whenever I can find them cheap. I know that NGC has two listings for MSFS nickels 5FS and 6FS.. I have a 5FS NGC coin I also have some PCGS coins and they say FS on the case. but when I look at the coins in the NGC Registry the PCGS coins are labeled MS 66 5FS so is NGC categorizing my PCGS coins to there grading standards ? PCGS does not use 5 or 6 just FS. So does PCGS Only require 5 steps to make a FS coin and NGC is showing there more defined grading system that uses 6FS coins...(shrug) 

1943 S..jpg

1943 D +.jpg

Hey J P. PCGS does recognize 5 FS as their qualifier for this designation the same as NGC does. I suppose 6 FS’s are just an added bonus. Here’s a screenshot from one of the PCGS websites. Hope this helps. 

C05124D8-A131-4B73-A771-10E23AF9577E.png

So I will consider myself lucky with the 5 FS designation all around and for those PCGS coins that have 6 FS well you loose out no bonus for you ..LoL

Well you could always attempt a cross or crackout and have NGC grade them if the 6FS is that important to you, not saying that you should but you could.  As to your original question Greg nailed it, in the NGC registry every PCGS FS coin that I have seen has always been scored as 5FS.

On 10/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Coinbuf said:

Well you could always attempt a cross or crackout and have NGC grade them if the 6FS is that important to you, not saying that you should but you could.  As to your original question Greg nailed it, in the NGC registry every PCGS FS coin that I have seen has always been scored as 5FS.

No the 6FS is not that big deal, and Craking is out of the question on a PCGS or a NGC holder  If 5 is good enough 6 is just ...bling...:roflmao:

Thanks Greg, sorry I made you go through a search that to get that info. I already new that  5 FS thing but I misworded my first post and added the word Does PCGS. My whole point was trying to find out is why in the Registry they are saying my PCGS coins are only 5 FS when some are 6 FS and Coinbuff said it has always been that way . So there it is :smirk:

On 10/24/2021 at 4:50 PM, GBrad said:

Hey J P. PCGS does recognize 5 FS as their qualifier

On 10/24/2021 at 6:48 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Thanks Greg, sorry I made you go through a search that to get that info. 

J P, you did not make me search anything at all my friend.  I have the PCGS apps downloaded on my phone, and my computer, and I use them frequently along with the info provided by NGC.  I had just recently read up on the FS designation outlined by PCGS (because I have been looking at a lot Jeffy's lately) and I was able, from memory, to go straight to that page from which I took the screenshot.  I like to use all the TPG's websites to further my knowledge as best as I can no matter what the subject at hand may be.  I'm just glad I was able to hopefully help out.

Edited by GBrad