• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1891 cc Five Dollar Gold

10 posts in this topic

New to this bulletin board, so excuse errors in my approach.

I have a several 1891 cc five dollar gold coins,   Graded and Slabbed by NGC grade ranging from MS 61 to MS 64.  I am open to offers and also interested in possibly trading for other NGC graded gold coins of less numismatic value but greater gold weight.  

Can sell  on ebay but can arrange deal directly and avoid their fees.  Open to suggestions

Send an email address if interested

Thanks

Hello and Welcome!!!

Well, first off, you may have a tough time making a sale on here right because you're new and these are some high dollar coins.  We don't know you, but if you want to try to sell these coins, you're definitely going to need pictures.  What I would recommend is, if you want to try to sell them here, posting pictures of the coins you have for sale and/or trade.  Since you have several coins, I'd give each coin a separate posting here with photographs.....trying to put them all in one listing would get very cumbersome and confusing rather quickly.  Form there, you could see what happens.  But, what I would honestly recommend  since you want to skip eBay fees is consigning them with Great Collections.  Their fees are lower and they have a lot of success selling what is consigned to them.  The only drawbacks would be that consigning to Great Collections takes time to get the coin listed, to get the coin sold and to get your payment shipped to you and you'd lose the ability to entertain trade offers.  Ultimately, it's up to you but if they were mine and I was in your position, I'd probably go the Great Collections route.

Good luck with your sales!

Thanks for great advice

I didnt post pictures as I have different grades and yes it would be a lot of pictures.  I also didnt know about the importance of NGC photographing coins like this.  As I didnt send them all at once therefore, I have NGC images of the later ones.  Also I posted this this way so if someone was looking for a specific grade say a 63+ I could communicate directly about that grade and send pictures of that grade.   .

I sat on these for decades and didnt know they were so valuable or such high grade.  A purportedly world famous dealer told me the ones I showed him were AU  (and offered prices for VF). 

Considering the value I was also toying with meeting a buyer at  a coin show.  So the buyer could see the quality, and there might be other buyers there.  I am really naive on selling, I have only bought and most of that was when I was a kid. 

I will check out Great Collections. 

Have discovered I have lot of things to sell, so I need lots of advice. 

I'm glad I could help in at least some way!! 

Pictures are going to be very important, even right at the outset.  Many buyers won't even stop to ask for photos.....if they see a listing doesn't have photos, they'll just move on.  That's part of the reason I emphasized that right out of the gate.  A coin show may be a good venue as well.....I didn't think of that.  If you're willing to wait for one to come around that you could attend, that's a pretty good idea.  As for that dealer, that happens sometimes.  There are good dealers and bad dealers.  I'm not saying that what that dealer you mentioned was right but when you sell to a dealer, you have to remember that a dealer is going to offer you less because they have to make a profit.  If they don't, then they're not going to be a dealer for very long.  That being said though, there's a big difference between making a reasonable offer considering the need to make a profit and gouging someone.  But if you want to get close to full market value for your coins, then you're likely going to be better off selling it yourself rather than to a dealer.  

Great Collections is a great option.  I'm glad you're going to check them out.  I've consigned with them in the past and have been quite pleased with the experience.

Once again, best of luck with your sales!!

Also, how are you going to do the transfer of funds?  Unless it's PayPal or you are  a dealer who accepts Credit Cards you just might be out of luck.  How will you do the payments?  How much for the MS 61?

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:33 AM, Alex in PA. said:

Also, how are you going to do the transfer of funds?  Unless it's PayPal or you are  a dealer who accepts Credit Cards you just might be out of luck.  How will you do the payments?  How much for the MS 61?

Good points, Alex!! I cannot believe I didn't think of mentioning that!!! And I've been selling coins on eBay for 12 years.......doh!  I'm having some really stupid days lately.

Edited by Mohawk

Welcome to the forum, I will just echo a few of the thoughts already put forth.   Photos that are cropped in focus and properly oriented are a must if you expect to have any success selling be it here or on any on-line platform.    You are new and unknown here selling some expensive items so don't be surprised if people are not beating your door down to buy.   While it is not often there have been scam attempts tried on forums like this so members may be a bit wary of new members with high dollar items.    If you can provide any references from well known national dealers that may help ease any concerns that a potential buyer may have.    Perhaps the use of a third party dealer to facilitate the transaction as an option also.

Best of luck and I am looking forward to seeing the items you have to sell.

Learning alot.  I would guess Paypal or Zelle are options

Just sent a coin to Great Collections, spent over 30 minutes on phone and learned a lot from them

Regarding pricing there is more I need to learn.  NGC values an MS 61 at 3025.  What is standard percentage accepted? 

How do you guarantee each party is satisfied. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, jcmbfla said:

Learning alot.  I would guess Paypal or Zelle are options

Just sent a coin to Great Collections, spent over 30 minutes on phone and learned a lot from them

Regarding pricing there is more I need to learn.  NGC values an MS 61 at 3025.  What is standard percentage accepted? 

How do you guarantee each party is satisfied. 

GC, as most everyone here calls it, (short for Great Collections) is a very good place to start IMHO. I don’t think you can go wrong with them at all. 
As far as satisfying each party, I am assuming you are meaning the buyer and the seller (you) and not the auction company because they are going to get their cut no matter what, usually from both the buyer and the seller. Ultimately, this is a very difficult question to answer as there are A LOT OF VARIABLES INVOLVED but, in my opinion, it is as simple as this- there IS no guarantee. 

If auctioning a coin, with no reserve, well then… the seller may come up short on their anticipated sale price which wouldn’t settle well, obviously. As a buyer, sometimes there are return policies in effect depending on, once again…., many variables. As long as a buyer is satisfied with their purchase, to me, that is the first and foremost important thing. I would always keep in mind that, in life in general and especially buying and selling coins,  you are going to win some and you are going to lose some. Hopefully winning will far outweigh losing. Just my humble input here. 

On 10/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, jcmbfla said:

I would guess Paypal or Zelle are options

Also…. I meant to add this. I would not recommend Zelle for high priced and valuable items. To my knowledge, once you authorize a Zelle transaction, it is a one way street with no recourse. PayPal I believe has some extra added protection, not sure, but I don’t use it that often. Using other selling methods, outside of reputable and well known auction houses who offer some layers of protection, inevitably brings added layers of risk. Just FYI.