• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950-D nickel RPM
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, so I'm looking at this and my close ups aren't doing any justice. so I pulled out the scope and thought I seen something unusual with the naked eye. And the scope sees what I see. But I don't like to use scopes because they can be tricky at times. My question is did this coin take a hit, or did the MM just move/pushed towards the rim. Any help would be appreciated thanks. 

20211020_124926.jpg

20211020_124407.jpg

20211020_130313.jpg

20211020_125146.jpg

20211020_125103.jpg

Looks like a worn out die to me that caused the deformation of the mm.  Look at all the flow lines present on the fields of the coin.  This signifies a worn out die.  Plus, there's not any mention of an RPM for this year on VV.  Basically die deterioration doubling here.

Edited by GBrad

On 10/20/2021 at 1:31 PM, GBrad said:

Looks like a worn out die to me that caused the deformation of the mm.  Look at all the flow lines present on the fields of the coin.  This signifies a worn out die.  Plus, there's not any mention of an RPM for this year on VV.  Basically die deterioration doubling here.

Thanks G, DDD it is. Just making sure. 

Hi Joe!

I'm with GBrad....you've got a coin from a worn out die there.  But if you found a 1950-D nickel in circulation, that's really cool.  Those were saved by the roll in 1950, so they don't turn up in the wild very often.

~Tom

On 10/20/2021 at 5:09 PM, Mohawk said:

Hi Joe!

I'm with GBrad....you've got a coin from a worn out die there.  But if you found a 1950-D nickel in circulation, that's really cool.  Those were saved by the roll in 1950, so they don't turn up in the wild very often.

~Tom

Thanks Tom,  yeah I'm trying to fill slots in my album. I actually traded a 1938 s and one of my tokens for this one. Each of my album's are all circulate coins. But most were found in pocket change or roll hunting. I was going over it before I put it away. 

On 10/20/2021 at 7:45 PM, Hinkle said:

Thanks Tom,  yeah I'm trying to fill slots in my album. I actually traded a 1938 s and one of my tokens for this one. Each of my album's are all circulate coins. But most were found in pocket change or roll hunting. I was going over it before I put it away. 

That's still cool.  The 1950-D is a cool one, but I'm partial....it's the best U.S. coin from my late mother's birth year.  And I'd say you made a good trade.....the 1950-D is an important one for Jeffersons!! I'd have made that trade, too.