• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 Washington quarter error

10 posts in this topic

I found this 1990 quarter and on the back of it, I'm not sure, but it looks like something is an error.  It looks like there is a letter D and/or C along with an extra part of the wing, could anybody fill me in please it would be very appreciated.

16346153562612657574108642523580.jpg

16346153851211779557150086065720.jpg

16346154022381574076066149889595.jpg

16346154379608447694968109483181.jpg

Hello Emmy1 and welcome to the forum.  Your quarter appears to have a seriously large die chip or possible what is called a Freestanding Interior Die Break but I don't believe it is big enough to be that, probably just a large die chip.  Your close up pics are pretty good, please try to orient them in the proper/upright manner, but either way this is not an error. 

Edited by GBrad

So, another question for you guys?  Is the quarter at all valuable or should I throw it in with the rest of my coins that are being taken into the bank for deposit?

On 10/19/2021 at 9:31 PM, Emmy1 said:

So, another question for you guys?  Is the quarter at all valuable or should I throw it in with the rest of my coins that are being taken into the bank for deposit?

Take it to the bank unless you just want to keep it for reference.(thumbsu  There are a quadrillion of these same examples out there.

I'd just spend it, Emmy, unless you wanted it as a reference piece as GBrad said.  Die chips don't really add value to coins most of the time. If it were mine, it'd have a date with the Laundromat next week.

Edited by Mohawk

On 10/19/2021 at 9:31 PM, Emmy1 said:

Although I don't actively roll search, I always take a quick look at my change.  I usually save any minor error I find and put it in a 2x2 UNLESS it has significant damage.  I like my collection but most are only worth face value.  Occasionally, I've used them  to do educational presentations at coin clubs or show other collectors.

Keep or spend?  It's up to you.  I think it's fun to have them as a little collection, but they are no more valuable than a jar of loose change waiting to go to the coin star machine. No wrong answer IMO

On 10/21/2021 at 7:47 PM, VKurtB said:

Great with a little French Onion dip.

I wouldn't know....I'm one of those rare people in this world who is actually allergic to onions.  I'm also allergic to sweet peppers and mustard.  I'm a whole ton of culinary fun, let me tell you.