• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Washington Quarter

5 posts in this topic

Ive posted three pictures, the first is an obverse shot of my 1965 quarter and the second is a close up of the words "In God We Trust" from the same quarter. The third picture is a side by side comparison of the same close up shot from my quarter and the one shown in PCGS's price guide.

So what do I have? I dont think its a DDO but what do I know.

Anyways thanks for your time, Mike

1965 Quarter F.jpg

WIN_20211015_15_10_56_Pro.jpg

Real3.jpg

Look at your bottom combo pic.  Notice how the doubled die on the left is rounded and full.  Now look at yours.  It's flat.  Flat and shelf-like=mechanical doubling.

Take some time to review the characteristics of hub doubling

https://www.doubleddie.com/58222.html

Here are the characteristics of worthless doubling

https://www.doubleddie.com/144801.html

Hi Mike!!

I'm with the Hoopster....you've got some machine doubling going on there.  It can be deceptive at first glance, but this kind of doubling is extremely common on U.S. coins from the 1960's and 1970's.  When I was a new collector, I had a 1968-S Proof Quarter with machine doubling that I sent on an expensive trip through ANACS......so my machine doubling lesson cost me some bucks!!  Hoopster's links are good ones to check out.

~Tom

On 10/16/2021 at 6:25 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Take some time to review the characteristics of hub doubling

Thanks for explaining things for me and the links.

So as I understand it the quarter I have was created using multiple die strikes, as all coins are and in between the die strikes the coin shifted causing the doubling effect. This is why you get the flat step like appearance, the die presses the first impression flat as it creates a secondary impression over the first.

But a true double die is made when during the creation of the die the coin imprint is carved (for lack of a better word) in the face of the die using multiple passes and in between those passes for some reason the alignment changes slightly causing the imprint to be carved in the die twice, hence the term double die. So when they go to make coins the die itself is flawed and that die can never be used to make a perfect coin as it will always have a flawed imprint. This is why it doesnt have the flat stepped appearance.

At least thats what ive gotten from it so far.

You have got a pretty good grasp of things but on MD the coin is struck only once, not multiple times.The die shifts on the way up causing the ledge which makes the devices look smaller.

Also the proper terminology is Doubled Die not Double Die.

Now you know what to look for.