• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 penny Feedback??

12 posts in this topic

This penny caught my eye soon as I clock in at work I Believe its stamped on another coin because the rim of the penny has ridges I know pennies are not suppose to have ridges they kind of resemble tge ridges on a candian coin and the shine on the coin is eye catching pictures are without flash isn't the coat messed up on the right lower side 

Picture_20214115104123.jpg

Picture_20214015104043.jpg

received_433022464871266.jpeg

Edited by Dejone Maxwell

Agree with the damage comments.  More than likely, what you see on the edge is due to contact marks from tumbling and banging into something hard.

I don't think it's an artifact from punching the blanks. The upset mill process would eliminate most/all of any surface variability on the edge, IMO.

Regardless of the cause, it's just PMD.

Hi Dejone!!

I'm with the others....definite post-minting damage.  There is no way the minting process could have cause what we're seeing with your cent.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:50 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Agree with the damage comments.  More than likely, what you see on the edge is due to contact marks from tumbling and banging into something hard.

I don't think it's an artifact from punching the blanks. The upset mill process would eliminate most/all of any surface variability on the edge, IMO.

Regardless of the cause, it's just PMD.

But the ridges are perfectly around the coin evenly space same size so what could it have dropped on to cause those perfect lines on the rim??

Edited by Dejone Maxwell

On 10/17/2021 at 5:31 AM, Dejone Maxwell said:

But the ridges are perfectly around the coin evenly space same size so what could it have dropped on to cause those perfect lines on the rim??

If it is copper plated zinc coin and just like how on the face of a lot of the coins it gets that wood grain look from being plated it happens on the edges also. It also could have gone for a short ride in a dryer. there are lots of ways and things that can mark up a coin.

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 10/17/2021 at 5:31 AM, Dejone Maxwell said:

Never say "I can't explain how this damage occurred, therefore it must be an error".  An error or variety can always be explained in terms of the minting and die making process.  

What part of the Minting process would leave those marks?  Answer=None.  Do you have any potential explanations?  Collar defect? Not looking like that.  Do you think a punching artifact would survive both the upset mill AND expanding into the collar during striking?  I can't see it happening. The metal is subjected to pressures and deformation during those steps that would "erase" those marks.

There are many, many, many ways for a coin to be damaged.  If you're going to search for errors, you really need to study and understand the minting process.  Here are some links to get you started

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

On 10/17/2021 at 6:20 AM, J P Mashoke said:

If it is copper plated zinc coin and just like how on the face of a lot of the coins it gets that wood grain look from being plated it happens on the edges also. It also could have gone for a short ride in a dryer. there are lots of ways and things that can mark up a coin.

Its copper cause it weight 3.1 on the scale 

Good, it weighs 3.1 grams.  This is even better because this means that it is a copper Cent.  A copper Cent is 'softer' than a Zinc Cent, relatively speaking.  This will make it that much more susceptible to post mint damage in the way of hits, dents, and dings.  Let's start from the beginning here. Look at all of the damage on your Cent in the reverse pic you posted.  Now, look at all of the damage on your Cent in the obverse pic you posted. Now, let's look at the edge of your coin in your third picture and observe all of the damage there as well. The "rim" of your penny, in which you referred, does not have ridges.  The nomenclature, or proper term for this particular area on a coin is not the "rim".  It should be properly referred to as the edge of the coin, just FYI. The rim of a coin is the raised area on the perimeter of a coin, both obverse and reverse, which was designed to help protect the coin from damage which yours unfortunately failed to do.  I could easily take a copper Lincoln Cent, roll it across a hard textured surface, and create the exact same thing you are seeing with your coin, respectively.  As other very knowledgeable members here have commented.... your coin is nothing more than a result of post mint damage. The ridges on the edge of your coin you are seeing are not even remotely consistent, nor look like, the reeding produced on reeded edge coins. 

On 10/15/2021 at 11:00 PM, Dejone Maxwell said:

because the rim of the penny has ridges

Edited by GBrad

GBrad, you hit it out of the park and said everything that needs to be said here. To Dejone, it doesn't matter if your cent is copper or zinc, it's just a damaged coin in any case.  There is no way any of that happened during the minting process, so it has to be damage.