• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970s DDO Large Date Penny?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

This is my first post, though I have been consuming your wisdom and experience for a while here :). I first started coin collecting about 7 years ago, but then took a break until about a few months ago. That is when I started CRHing for the first time (before that I attended a few shows and bought a few select coins and bullion online through a trusted dealer).

After going through probably a 5-6 dozen penny boxes CRHing, I think I MAY have found something here?  I took a few pics of the screen from my microscope. What do you think?  I think it is a large date - and a DD on the date.  I know the standard DDO LD out there for this year has doubling on the "In God..." and "LIBERTY". I don't see doubling at all on these areas but my "in-training" eye thinks it sees it pretty pronounced on the date. 

Any thoughts on what it might be worth?

I appreciate your help!!

IMG_3283_41.jpeg.f39ba221a1c8024bf3a92bf676492fde.jpegIMG_3286_52.thumb.jpeg.73f855ba7dde7f192a7a4fcc3288f02a.jpeg

IMG_3282_2_71.thumb.jpeg.ed3647d093f2f4419e28be6f15c3258c.jpeg

Edited by NumisSayles

And thats the problem with microscopes, everything looks like something it is not.   No this is not what true die doubling looks like, you need to consume much more wisdom, and scrap the microscope.

Welcome to the forum Numis.  You do have a large date 1970 Lincoln but you do not have a doubled die.  This is a classic, and very good, example of machine doubling.  Basically worthless.  I do agree with @Coinbuf about scopes.  A good magnifying glass and a 10x loupe is sufficient enough to discern any doubled dies that are out there, at least those that are of any numismatic or collector value.  

It's flat and shelf-like with no notching/split serifs which are characteristics of mechanical doubling (also called strike or machine doubling), not hub doubling.  Another giveaway is the mm has the same appearance.  Doubling occurs in the die making process before the mm is added to the die (for pre 1989 coins).

I'm with the others...it's machine doubling, which is extremely common on Lincoln Cents of this era.