• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1998 Lincoln Cent Wide AM

10 posts in this topic

YUP!! That is definitely a 1998 WAM. Great find in pocket change, congrats!!!!  I have been very lucky and I think I have found 4 1998's in the wild..... can't remember.  @ronnie stein could probably tell you better than me how many I have found....lol.  I've also found one wild 2000 WAM but that dang 1999 still eludes me!!!! ARGH!!!!!!  Good find!

On 10/9/2021 at 12:54 PM, ronnie stein said:

Come on Greg, tell us how your 'scootching' that A over to the left a little.   

Shhhhh!!!!! Don't tell ANYONE.....But I bought a lightly used 1998 Lincoln Proof anvil die off of Etsy.....:whistle:

On 10/9/2021 at 1:43 AM, GBrad said:

YUP!! That is definitely a 1998 WAM. Great find in pocket change, congrats!!!!  I have been very lucky and I think I have found 4 1998's in the wild..... can't remember.  @ronnie stein could probably tell you better than me how many I have found....lol.  I've also found one wild 2000 WAM but that dang 1999 still eludes me!!!! ARGH!!!!!!  Good find!

And that's exactly why the 1999 WAM is worth so much....it's eluding almost everyone.

On 10/9/2021 at 1:55 PM, Mohawk said:

And that's exactly why the 1999 WAM is worth so much....it's eluding almost everyone.

You should see how hard it is to figure out if you have the small or large date on a 1970-S. I may post it and ask for help because I cant make up my mind.

It was hard for me to learn the 1970-S Small Date as well.....but after years of practice and a good amount of success attributing and selling them, I can tell that one pretty easily.  If you want to post it up, Mike, I'd be glad to let you know what I think.  I actually have some comparison pieces currently as well.....I'm getting them ready to go off to NGC.

On 10/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, Mikhail2400 said:

You should see how hard it is to figure out if you have the small or large date on a 1970-S. I may post it and ask for help because I cant make up my mind.

On the 1970 cent, remember that Low=Large. That may not make any sense at this point, but it will, once you see the difference in the shape of the "9" and the placement of the "7". 

On 10/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, Just Bob said:

On the 1970 cent, remember that Low=Large. That may not make any sense at this point, but it will, once you see the difference in the shape of the "9" and the placement of the "7". 

Mike and I PMed about it....he's got a Large Date.  But I'm going to post a picture up that I sent him that may help other members which illustrates how my old boss at the coin shop showed me how to tell the difference.  It's not my picture, by the way, but it's credited on the corner:

1970 S Small Date Cent — Collectors Universe

The way my boss taught me was that the inner serif of the 9 on the Small Date points toward the middle of the 7 while the inner serif of the 9 on the Large Date points toward the tail of the 7.  Also, the inner serif of the 9 on the Small Date in pointed while it's blunt on the Large Date.  Like my boss told me "people get so stuck looking at that 7 when they really need to be looking at the 9".  Once I knew that, it clicked immediately and I've been able to tell them on sight ever since.