• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin grading question

36 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2021 at 8:07 PM, Jblindy said:

@VKurtB Please explain. 

The explanation is that if anyone is getting into this hobby without realizing it is jammed to the gills with a need for heavy duty research, then the hobby is not showing itself honestly. Anyone wanting to get into this hobby without understanding that AT LEAST 20 shelf-feet of books lies in their future is kidding himself. 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:08 PM, VKurtB said:

The explanation is that if anyone is getting into this hobby without realizing it is jammed to the gills with a need for heavy duty research, then the hobby is not showing itself honestly. Anyone wanting to get into this hobby without understanding that AT LEAST 20 shelf-feet of books lies in their future is kidding himself. 

You're saying a new guy, just getting interested in the hobby of coin collecting, should automatically know they need a mess ton of books to thumb through in order to understand the intricacies of coin collecting?  I disagree.  How would a noob even know this?  It wasn't until I really dove in, trying to understand the grading process and all the nuances contained within that process, that I realized there was a lot of learning involved.  A coin collector can be anyone that buys coins for the sheer joy of it.  A coin collector can be quite content with buying directly from the mint and call it a day.  A coin collector can be someone just wanting to fill albums, regardless of the quality of coins.  A coin collector can be someone who enjoys going through rolls of coins.  A person has to start somewhere unless they already know they want to make a career of numismatics.  

On 10/10/2021 at 6:36 PM, Jblindy said:

You're saying a new guy, just getting interested in the hobby of coin collecting, should automatically know they need a mess ton of books to thumb through in order to understand the intricacies of coin collecting?  I disagree.  How would a noob even know this?  It wasn't until I really dove in, trying to understand the grading process and all the nuances contained within that process, that I realized there was a lot of learning involved.  A coin collector can be anyone that buys coins for the sheer joy of it.  A coin collector can be quite content with buying directly from the mint and call it a day.  A coin collector can be someone just wanting to fill albums, regardless of the quality of coins.  A coin collector can be someone who enjoys going through rolls of coins.  A person has to start somewhere unless they already know they want to make a career of numismatics.  

Well, that’s kind of EXACTLY what I’m saying. It has nothing to do with the line between career and not career. I’ve been doing this 58 years and it has never been a career. I’m a HOBBYIST who knows what knowledge it takes to be taken seriously. It’s the line between seriousness and dilettante, who is headed for being taken. This is a VICIOUS field with MANY MANY extremely dishonest people. 

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB  You've been doing this for a good majority of your life.  Did you KNOW you would need to have "20 shelf feet of books"  before you started or did you realize this as you became more involved, realizing you had a lot of learning to do.  I understand this is a vicious hobby.  There are many people who have no reservations preying on the less knowledgeable.  I now understand that I need to know as much as possible before delving into the world of raw coins.  I certainly didn't know that going in.  You say you've been doing this for 58 years...  maybe you have forgotten how it was when you first started, much like a parent forgetting what it's like to be a teenager and expecting their teens to just know what to you is obvious.

I'm sure you have a vast amount of knowledge tucked away in that old head of yours...don't take that personally because I'm not too far from you.  Maybe you could share some of your experience and give a few little nuggets of coin collecting wisdom concerning my question above.  I would really appreciate it. 

Actually I DID know what I was getting into. I realize that in this Internet era, it’s hard to relate to this. But my #1, by far, numismatic mentor had a library of about 200 shelf feet of books. He got me started by gifting me 8 books. before I had a single coin. One was the   1964 Red Book, hot off the press. My first collectible coins were a 1963 proof set. $2.10 cost. He sat with me while we mounted it in a Capitol Plastics holder. I wish I had stayed in touch with him. I would have killed to get his library. 

BTW, here are both:

image.thumb.jpg.9a123c22a46a474393fe448807e28422.jpg

I see,,,you had a mentor who made you aware of the need for research.  Unfortunately, I don't have a mentor.  These boards are the closest thing to a mentor I have.  What I'm learning is on my own. I have been suggested a few books to start my own personal journey, which I have ordered and should be in my hands this coming week, the 2022 Redbook and the ANA Coin Grading standards book.  I'm sure I will add to them.  I didn't have any idea coin collecting was this involved.  I had never even heard the term numismatics.  I'm sure you are very passionate about your hobby, but it's unreasonable to expect everybody to follow the same path as you.  I appreciate your time and responses and will be looking forward to your input on my future questions.  I'm sure there will be many.