• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for information - odd coloring 1937 Buffalo Nickel

6 posts in this topic

I am looking for more information on this coin, specifically the discoloration around the edge. Also any information that you can give me about this one would be appreciated value, if I should get it graded etc.

Thank you in advance,

Judd

CM211003-060403002~2.jpg

CM211003-060342001~2.jpg

Hard to say from the photos, might just be tarnish although it looks really thick like paint or glue.    You have a well worn common date Buffalo with some sort of substance on the surface that is not pretty to look at, it would cost you $50-$60 to grade and slab a $2 coin.   If you want to remove that gunk you could try placing the coin in some pure acetone for a few minutes to see if whatever is on the coin will dissolve away.   Either way it will never be worth the cost to have graded and slabbed, many (most) old coins are not worth the cost.

I don’t know what caused it, but I have to believe it was done with intent. The way it avoids the facial features of the Indian couldn’t be natural I wouldn’t think. 

Tarnish or a chemical stain.  I'd say it's really not worth anything over face value.  If it were mine, I'd actually spend it in the hopes that a kid would find it and think it was cool.