• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient Indians coins, are they authentic?

7 posts in this topic

I know nothing about these coins as they came extra in a sale of a lot of coins I bought. Are they even genuine? I also have another gold Indian coin & few more silver Indian labeled coins as well Edit: I miss posted and posted the obverse of two coins instead of the reverse for one of them. Another thread with the reverse will be made

742F2460-83F2-423F-8E5A-61A702C923C2.jpeg

3902F902-862B-43F9-B72F-444479107F49.jpeg

Edited by andjeff19

I know nothing about this type of coin but no matter. I don't think the coins are close enough to see anything to go by. And in the flip you cannot see the edges. Just my observation andjeff19

On 10/4/2021 at 5:59 PM, J P Mashoke said:

I know nothing about this type of coin but no matter. I don't think the coins are close enough to see anything to go by. And in the flip you cannot see the edges. Just my observation andjeff19

Agreed I honestly figured the answer would be that they’re too small to figure, but I still figured id ask 

Man, Andrew....you DO have a varied collection at the moment.  Ancient Indian is going to be a tough one, I think.  JKK may be able to help with it, but he's the only one I can think of who may know enough about it to help you out.  I couldn't even fill a thimble with what I know about it.  I wish I could be more of help here...I'm probably too freaking specialized lol

Nothing makes me think they are not authentic. The Mysore coin is common enough that you can buy it in large quantities. The Vijayanagar appears to be similar in type to what they have minted. It might be referenced in one of the Mitchner books.