• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Submission of 5 British Crowns
1 1

50 posts in this topic

Now comes the toughest part - finding a truly high end 1965 Churchill. They made sooooo many, and they are a dime a dozen, and most are in dealer junk boxes. And I’m looking for a 67 or so example. Not easy.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:46 PM, VKurtB said:

Now comes the toughest part - finding a truly high end 1965 Churchill. They made sooooo many, and they are a dime a dozen, and most are in dealer junk boxes. And I’m looking for a 67 or so example. Not easy.

good luck with that, so far none cert in that grade.......

On 10/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, zadok said:

good luck with that, so far none cert in that grade.......

I’d settle for a 5 or a 6 that grabs my eye. It’s the circulation ‘71 Ike of the Brit set.

Edited by VKurtB

:applause:

On 10/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, VKurtB said:

It has been graded MS65.

That's quite a leap.  You have very good eyes.  Congrats on a very successful purchase.

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:55 PM, Alex in PA. said:

:applause:

That's quite a leap.  You have very good eyes.  Congrats on a very successful purchase.

While it takes, IMHO, both formal education with in-person instruction (not pictures or even videos) AND many years of CONSTANT UNINTERRUPTED experience in order to learn how to grade, it takes EVEN LONGER in order to TRUST one’s grading knowledge enough to put it into action finding undergraded  coins. I’m just really getting there, after 58 years in the hobby. Too many breaks over those 58. Each hiatus required extra aggressive study to catch up. You can’t just stop collecting and hope to remain relevant. You also have to go see coins where they are. Ya gotzta get on airplanes and trains.  And yes, Amtrak serves most great “coin towns”. You get to read, rest, and get rocked to sleep, ready to hit the bourse. 

Can’t take all the credit for the eyes. A great cataract surgeon in Valley Forge, PA gets some credit. One winter in Valley Forge …. No, not THAT one. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/4/2021 at 6:00 PM, VKurtB said:

And to have three of the five have attributes that @RWB doesn’t approve of is just icing on the cake! It’s a great day.

You guys remind me of my sister's cat and this stray cat that showed up on her porch one day......those two took one look at each other and were ready to full on brawl!  If there wasn't a window between them, there would have been blood and fur EVERYWHERE!  And congrats on those crowns, BTW.....especially that PL67!!!

On 10/4/2021 at 8:17 PM, Mohawk said:

You guys remind me of my sister's cat and this stray cat that showed up on her porch one day......those two took one look at each other and were ready to full on brawl!  If there wasn't a window between them, there would have been blood and fur EVERYWHERE!  And congrats on those crowns, BTW.....especially that PL67!!!

I have cats exactly like that. I wasn’t born with the “back down from a fight” gene. I’m all in. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/4/2021 at 9:19 PM, VKurtB said:

I have cats exactly like that. I wasn’t born with the “back down from a fight” gene. I’m all in. 

Going by the exchanges you and Roger have on here, I have to say I am completely unsurprised that you have that gene in your genetic recipe.  Roger seems to have it as well.  That's at least one thing you guys can agree on.....you won't back down from a fight lol

On 10/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, VKurtB said:

While it takes, IMHO, both formal education with in-person instruction (not pictures or even videos) AND many years of CONSTANT UNINTERRUPTED experience in order to learn how to grade, it takes EVEN LONGER in order to TRUST one’s grading knowledge enough to put it into action finding undergraded  coins. I’m just really getting there, after 58 years in the hobby. Too many breaks over those 58. Each hiatus required extra aggressive study to catch up. You can’t just stop collecting and hope to remain relevant. You also have to go see coins where they are. Ya gotzta get on airplanes and trains.  And yes, Amtrak serves most great “coin towns”. You get to read, rest, and get rocked to sleep, ready to hit the bourse. 

Can’t take all the credit for the eyes. A great cataract surgeon in Valley Forge, PA gets some credit. One winter in Valley Forge …. No, not THAT one. 

...u forgot to mention all those hours of dumpster diving at the national archives that u did....

On 10/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, VKurtB said:

I bought the 1935 Crown across the counter, raw, from Chards of Blackpool, England. It was marked and priced as an “XF Plus” coin. I thought it was undergraded. NGC has confirmed my belief. It has been graded MS65. 

You've actually done a lot better than you think you did!  Their MS coins (MS-63 and MS-64 only) lie between their XF/EF coins (which we define as AU-55 to MS-62) and their UNC (which we define as from MS-65 to MS-70).

Convoluted, but ultimately the reason why your armchair protégé chose to avoid CHARDS:  I do not believe they sell certified coins.  (And as a Set Registrant, a range of raw just doesn't cut it.)

Congratulations!   🐓 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:14 PM, zadok said:

...u forgot to mention all those hours of dumpster diving at the national archives that u did....

You conflate my history with another’s, kind sir. I MADE some governmental archives. I never have dived them. Besides, I own no “diver down” flags. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/4/2021 at 10:06 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

You've actually done a lot better than you think you did!  Their MS coins (MS-63 and MS-64 only) lie between their XF/EF coins (which we define as AU-55 to MS-62) and their UNC (which we define as from MS-65 to MS-70).

Convoluted, but ultimately the reason why your armchair protégé chose to avoid CHARDS:  I do not believe they sell certified coins.  (And as a Set Registrant, a range of raw just doesn't cut it.)

Congratulations!   🐓 

I do believe you are correct about Chards and slabbed coins. Not that they’d remove them if they acquired them that way, but I saw none in their showroom, 80% of which was a “boiler room” sales operation with extraordinarily fetching young ladies at the computers. 

Some nice grades Kurt. I remember picking up a few GEFs from an English auction that all graded MS63 in which I was very happy adding to my collection. Above that is tough to find. I’ve also picked up a couple nice deals at Chards. Never had the chance to meet them in person - shame. 

On 10/4/2021 at 11:31 PM, VKurtB said:

You conflate my history with another’s, kind sir. I MADE some governmental archives. I never have dived them. Besides, I own no “diver down” flags. 

...i thought it was satire, no idea it was conflation, who knew...i must be charting new territory....but was fairly certain it would get ur attention.....

On 10/4/2021 at 11:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I do believe you are correct about Chards and slabbed coins. Not that they’d remove them if they acquired them that way, but I saw none in their showroom, 80% of which was a “boiler room” sales operation with extraordinarily fetching young ladies at the computers. 

I intuitively knew your better half was not accompanying you on your globetrotting forays replete with reckless eyeballing opportunities and other exotic fringe benefits, but at least you brought home the bacon. 😉 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, VKurtB said:

A great cataract surgeon in Valley Forge, PA gets some credit.

As with me.  A great eye surgeon in Anchorage, Alaska took away the Cataracts and gave me Intra-Ocular Lens Implants.  What a change that was.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:39 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I intuitively knew your better half was not accompanying you on your globetrotting forays replete with reckless eyeballing opportunities and other exotic fringe benefits, but at least you brought home the bacon. 😉 

Actually, she did accompany me. But at that time she was still ex-wife #2, and my “second pair of eyes” for navigating around. We remarried 6 months after that trip, mid-pandemic. We got married in Alabama because Pennsylvania was not doing them. You couldn’t get a license in May of 2020.

Snide and ignorant remarks aside, facts, not "opinions" are attributes.

:)

Edited by RWB

On 10/5/2021 at 1:45 PM, RWB said:

Oh Roger, you should have learned by now that snide is a complete given. But ignorant is YOUR stock in trade. I’d never want to intrude on your exclusive domain.

On ANOTHER form, same submission, a 1967 SMS in MS66 CAMEO, and a 2016-D in MS67, both Kennedy halves. The third form was two GSA CC dollars.

Edited by VKurtB

On 10/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, RWB said:

totally incorrect....attributions r actions of "regarding", "ascribing" or "characteristic of" not even close to being fact based or documented as.....pedestrian comment....

On 10/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, Alex in PA. said:

As with me.  A great eye surgeon in Anchorage, Alaska took away the Cataracts and gave me Intra-Ocular Lens Implants.  What a change that was.

Never heard of those but will definitely make a note of it.  My wife and I both have cataracts.  My sister calls our situation "the blind leading the blind."  In deference to my wife's difficult life and devotion to God, I let her call the shots. Every day, when she turns to me and says, [Ahn ah-LAY, cherie!] it's is not a suggestion; it's a civil command to return to jail (our home) where she, naturally, is the capo di tutti capo. The seven years we've spent together have been the best years of my life.   🐓 

On 10/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, VKurtB said:

Actually, she did accompany me. But at that time she was still ex-wife #2, and my “second pair of eyes” for navigating around. We remarried 6 months after that trip, mid-pandemic. We got married in Alabama because Pennsylvania was not doing them. You couldn’t get a license in May of 2020.

The membership, myself included, clearly enjoy hearing from you.  🐓 

On 10/5/2021 at 4:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

My wife and I both have cataracts.

I got them about 25 years ago so the items will be more advanced.  I only had a Cataract in my right eye but when he did the surgery and then took the bandage off I yelled "Do the other one!"   That's how good it was.  If you've got Cataracts I recommend you have it done.  There are several new methods today.

Edited by Alex in PA.

There HAVE TO BE wonderful eye surgeons in the Big Apple unless the ravages of COVID have shut them down. 

Edited by VKurtB