• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions about a 1998d quarter.

6 posts in this topic

Good afternoon everyone. I ran across this coin and it caught my eye because of the nice finish on it. I thought it was a proof until noticing the d mintmark. After looking even closer I thought maybe it might be a doubled die.

I still am puzzled by what is and isn't considered notching. I found no information on any of the sites but thought it would be wise to check with the experts just in case. My questions are, 1- Is there something unusual about a business strike looking this nice? And 2- Are the offsets I see in isn't notches, or just common MD?  Thanks a bunch in advance for your time and assistance!

20210930_220834.thumb.jpg.7cf84f2d4fcca2e003077204308f8833.jpg20210930_214211.thumb.jpg.92aae1fa9f4ce3415d3f981e2aabe2aa.jpg20210930_214203.jpg.8645cf4040c9d86bbd6c7a01963a260e.jpg

Rjoe,

It does appear to be proof like in these pictures, but I’m not so sure these are giving us the most accurate view of the coin. Lighting can play all kinds of tricks on coins. Also IGWT looks to have some machine doubling, but again with highly reflective coins lights can cause the illusion of doubling. Lastly the close up is out of focus. My best guess, and it’s just that a guess, is a well struck and possibly proof like circulation strike coin with some machine doubling. But with these pictures it is hard to say for sure. 

Thank you and I will look for info on photography of shiny objects. Discounting this particular coin, are prooflike business strikes common? Thank you again. Much appreciated!

I'm with Woods on all counts.....machine doubling and possibly proof-like, but we'll need some different photos to be as sure as we can be from photos on that part of it.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, RJoe said:

Thank you and I will look for info on photography of shiny objects. Discounting this particular coin, are prooflike business strikes common? Thank you again. Much appreciated!

They are becoming more and more common. On older coins only the ones struck very early from fresh dies would be PL, and no guarantee then. As the coining process and equipment have improved the outcomes are getting better. Modern clad US coins are not uncommon in PL, but it’s still a sought after attribute. The downside is with the commonality of them now it doesn’t really demand a large premium. It is a better coin than many but it isn’t overly rare if that makes sense? It’s probably a great coin to fill a slot in a collection, but it’s not something you will see a huge price increase for. And certainly not worth the cost of getting it graded.